SpybotS&D and Microsoft

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I ran a routine Spybot S&D check and was amazed to find that it came up with two identical threats from Microsoft !

They were both listed as
Microsoft.Windows.IEFirewallBypass

Further detail showed
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003|Service\SharedAccess\Par...

I could not get any further.

Is it correct that there can be a threat from Microsoft itself?
What do you suggest I do about it?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
nivrip said:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003|Service\SharedAccess\Par...

Sorry, that should read

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Service\SharedAccess\Par...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, it could be a threat ... but not from Microsoft.

Many nasties imitate MS system files.

Get a second, third or forth opinion from other security programs.

:user:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
hey mucks, how many apps do you think a person should have of antivirus, spywar remover, adware remover and what ever else?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Alf said:
hey mucks, how many apps do you think a person should have of antivirus, spywar remover, adware remover and what ever else?
One ... a brain. ;)

I'm sorry if anybody is offended with that statment, but I'm getting a little tired of repeating myself.

:user:

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
Alf said:
I agree with Mucks :) .

However, it's best to use one antivirus program with real time protection enabled. You can use another one as an on demand scanner if you wish or simply use an online scanner instead when you want another opinion. One software firewall that monitors both incoming and outgoing traffic is also highly recommended along with a hardware router/firewall. For malware you can use as many programs as you wish however there's no use using antimalware programs with real time protection that check for the same things. Even though you won't have conflicts the same as you do with antivirus programs it's simply a waste of resources.

I currently use NOD32 antivirus, Outpost free firewall, Comodo BOClean, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard. I also use AVG AntiSpyware and SUPERAntiSpyware for on demand scanners. I find that AdAware and Spybot S&D are simply not as effective as other programs in most cases even though I still have them installed. I'm also sitting behind a SmoothWall router.

Ask a Question