Spontaneous reboot during Win2k "repair" setup

Rachael Beale

Hello,

I've just replaced the motherboard and processor in my aged desktop PC:

- 1Ghz PIII
- Intel D815EEA2 mobo
- 512MB Kingston RAM
- unknown but previously reliable CD-ROM and floppy drives
- Quantum Fireball 10G HD

I booted up from my Win2k CD, chose "Install", and then "Repair" when
the system detected the existing installation. This portion of setup
seemed to run fine.

The system rebooted into the graphical bit of the setup process. It
now gets to the screen where Windows detects attached devices. Every
time, the progress bar gets about 2/3rds of the way across and the
machine spontaneously reboots (no warning, no error message).

- I've tried disabling all the APM options in the BIOS, and checking
all the connections on attached devices.
- I've tried using an ATI graphics card rather than the on-board video.
- It doesn't seem to be the processor overheating, as the machine was
running a lot longer during the non-graphical segment of setup without
any problems, and although I don't have a temperature sensor, the
heatsink isn't hot to the touch.

I *haven't* upgraded the BIOS to the latest release as yet, as I'm not
very confident messing with the BIOS.

I've read somewhere that ACPI can cause problems with this portion of
the setup process, but there are no options for completely disabling
ACPI in the BIOS - I can only change the suspend state (S1 or S3) and
the Wake-on-LAN settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other things I could try? What's
the minimum config I can get away with in terms of attached devices
(in case this helps at all)?

Advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Rachael

Scott Harding

This can be a losing battle but some ideas to try. Remove all hardware but
the video card and try again. A bios update may do something but hard to
say. It is most likely a resource conflict. Also make sure that all the
hardware is compatible with the new MB. Also you could test by using a
different hard drive and start a fresh install. Although this would take
some time it will at least tell you if all the other hardware in the system
is compatible.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Rachael Beale" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

ianw1974

Rachael Beale said:
[...]

Normally, two thirds of the way through is the graphics card.

What is the partition format? NTFS or FAT32? If you can boot to DOS,
and know what the driver file is for the video card, delete it - do
the same for the ati ones if they exist as well.

This will stop the system loading the old drivers for the video cards
that were on the system prior to the upgrade. As they no longer
exist, it should stop the system from failing and allow it to detect
it’s new hardware correctly.