Split Database Location

Reaction score
Hi, Access noobie here,

I am working on a database to track our engineering studies. Numerous people will need read/write access to update the studies as they move through the pipeline. To facilitate this I have split the db into a front-end/back-end configuration.

Now for the law of unintended consequences...

One of my guys has his drives mapped a little differently from everyone else in the department. For reasons I don't fully understand he cannot change the mapping. And, of course, he is the person who will be accessing the database the most (he assigns the studies and sets up almost all the entries).

What I need to do is map directly to the network location, not using drive letters. This is futher complicated because I cannot navigate there via My Network Places because there are intermediary steps where I don't have privileges.

My question: is there anywhere I can simply type the linking address in rather than having to navigate to it?

Access 2003, Windows XP

Thanks, Rob

Reaction score
I use code to link my well information from the client sides nation wide to a central DB.

Here is one of many, many examples and perhaps it will give you a clue of what you are searching for in your example.

Public Function LinkBackEnd(strFileName As String) As Boolean
On Error GoTo Err_proc
'Function creates linked tables to all tables (except "msys*" tables) in BE database defined by strFilename
Dim strSQL As String
Dim dbs As Database, tdf As TableDef
Dim dbs1 As DAO.Database, tdf1 As TableDef
Dim strTblName As String
Set dbs = OpenDatabase(Application.CurrentProject.FullName)
Set dbs1 = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(strFileName)
On Error Resume Next
For Each tdf1 In dbs1.TableDefs
strTblName = tdf1.Name
Debug.Print strTblName
If Left(strTblName, 4) <> "msys" Then
dbs.TableDefs.Delete strTblName
Set tdf = CurrentDb.CreateTableDef(strTblName)
tdf.Connect = ";DATABASE=" & strFileName
tdf.SourceTableName = strTblName
CurrentDb.TableDefs.Append tdf
End If
Next tdf1
On Error GoTo Err_proc
LinkBackEnd = -1
Exit_proc:
On Error Resume Next
Set dbs1 = Nothing
Set dbs = Nothing
Exit Function
Err_proc:
MsgBox err.Description, , CurrentDb.Properties("strTitle")
Resume Exit_proc
End Function

Last edited:

Ask a Question