Spambayes

Aaron

Merry Christmas.

First a thank you for all the help given here over the last year. I
certainly appreciate it.

Seciondly, I am curious to know if anyone here has tried Spambayes to
control spam in their inbox. I downloaded and installed it a week
ago. I have been amazed at it's accruacy and ease of use. It hit the
ground running and has been learning ever since. I have had very few
false positives in the first week. If this keeps up I may be able to
get through my inbox every day again.

I've tried it (not the outlook plugin). I found it pretty buggy, the
database gets corrupted very easily. After 3 or 4 times of facing the
same problem, I abandoned it.

It's probably worth (as is k9, popfile etc) using if you don't experience
the problem I did though.

Here is the link to the Windows platform download and then a link to
the donation page. Spambayes is freeware with the opportunity to
donate.

Aaron (my email is not munged!)

CeComet

Merry Christmas.

First a thank you for all the help given here over the last year. I
certainly appreciate it.

Seciondly, I am curious to know if anyone here has tried Spambayes to
control spam in their inbox. I downloaded and installed it a week ago. I
have been amazed at it's accruacy and ease of use. It hit the ground
running and has been learning ever since. I have had very few false
positives in the first week. If this keeps up I may be able to get through
my inbox every day again.

Here is the link to the Windows platform download and then a link to the
donation page. Spambayes is freeware with the opportunity to donate.

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/windows.html
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/donations.html

Best regards,
Scott B

Jari Lehtonen

Seciondly, I am curious to know if anyone here has tried Spambayes to
control spam in their inbox.

I have been usin the Outlook-plugin for a while now. Works great!

Jari

vanrinsg

I'm using it also since 2 weeks and the software is 'learning and
recognizing' more an more Outlook Spam mails.
It's simple to install and to use.
It's creating 2 new directories : 'Junk E-Mail' and 'Junk Suspects'.
About that I have question : may I remove those mails from the 'Junk E-Mail'
and keep the efficiency or
are they using them to recognize new spams ?
Thanks

CeComet

I move all items from the suspected junk e-mail that is spam. Move the good
e-mail into the inbox I leave the e-mail in the junk e-mail folder until I
run the training button on them, then I move the junk e-mail items to the
deleted folder and dispose of them. This seems to work fine for me. I
should have mentioned that I am using the Outlook plug-in.

Best regards,
Scott B

Jari Lehtonen

It's creating 2 new directories : 'Junk E-Mail' and 'Junk Suspects'.
About that I have question : may I remove those mails from the 'Junk E-Mail'
and keep the efficiency or
are they using them to recognize new spams ?
Thanks
They are not used any more when they are already in the junk-folder.
They are used if you manually mark them as spam in your inbox. It is
perfectly ok to delete them.
Jari

John H.

Aaron:
You wrote on 25 Dec 2003 16:15:39 +0800:

??>> Merry Christmas.
??>>
??>> First a thank you for all the help given here over the last year. I
??>> certainly appreciate it.
??>>
??>> Seciondly, I am curious to know if anyone here has tried Spambayes to
??>> control spam in their inbox. I downloaded and installed it a week
??>> ago. I have been amazed at it's accruacy and ease of use. It hit the
??>> ground running and has been learning ever since. I have had very few
??>> false positives in the first week. If this keeps up I may be able to
??>> get through my inbox every day again.

A> I've tried it (not the outlook plugin). I found it pretty buggy, the
A> database gets corrupted very easily. After 3 or 4 times of facing the
A> same problem, I abandoned it.

A> It's probably worth (as is k9, popfile etc) using if you don't
A> experience the problem I did though.

??>> Here is the link to the Windows platform download and then a link to
??>> the donation page. Spambayes is freeware with the opportunity to
??>> donate.

??>> http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/windows.html

??>>
??>>
??>>
??>>
A> Aaron (my email is not munged!)

I've installed it on about 25 PC's at work and users all respond positively
to it. One user had bug problems. This was corrected with downloading the
latest version of the plugin.

Now if they only made a plugin for Outlook Express...

John H.. E-mail: (e-mail address removed) Website: John's Best of Freeware:
http://home.wi.rr.com/johnhood/freeware/

Aaron

Aaron:
You wrote on 25 Dec 2003 16:15:39 +0800:

the database gets corrupted very easily. After 3 or 4 times of
facing the same problem, I abandoned it.

It's probably worth (as is k9, popfile etc) using if you don't
experience the problem I did though.

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/windows.html

I've installed it on about 25 PC's at work and users all respond
positively to it. One user had bug problems. This was corrected with
downloading the latest version of the plugin.

As I said I wasn't using the plugin (though it probably shouldnt make a
difference). And I asked about the problem in the spambayes list quoting
the relevant error messages and they said it's a bug that they are still
hunting and I was asked to start over, which I did with the same results.
I tried it again one week ago , same problem, the datbase gets corrupted
easily.

For what's it worth, it's accuracy when I could get it working is no
better or worse than POPfile, k9 and the like. The plugin for outlook
users (POPfile's outclass is similar) is handy, but I don't use outlook.

Now if they only made a plugin for Outlook Express...

That's pretty much impossible.

Aaron (my email is not munged!)