SP2 - Now DVD/CD-RW reads dvds, but not CD-R or Audio CD

Tim Miles

Hello in there.

Recently - after downloading sp2 but not sure that caused it - my HP
zd7000 stopped reading and writing data and audio CDs. It still reads
DVDs - both movies and data.

I'm running XP MCE2004 (with SP2), and the DVD/CDRW is an HL-DT-ST
RW/DVD GCC-4241N.

At a friend's suggestion, I went to device manager and uninstalled the
DVD/CD-RW and rebooted, but after it re-recognized the drive, my
problem remained.

I'd be very grateful to anyone with a suggestion. It's under warranty,
but I'd hate to be without my computer for a couple weeks, and it
doesn't seem like a hardware problem.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Tim,

I am experiencing the same problem. (I am running sp2, but, I'm not sure if
that is where the problem started.)

I would be interested in knowing if you found a solution.

Thanks

Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

"Tim Miles" wrote:

> Hello in there.
>
> Recently - after downloading sp2 but not sure that caused it - my HP
> zd7000 stopped reading and writing data and audio CDs. It still reads
> DVDs - both movies and data.
>
> I'm running XP MCE2004 (with SP2), and the DVD/CDRW is an HL-DT-ST
> RW/DVD GCC-4241N.
>
> At a friend's suggestion, I went to device manager and uninstalled the
> DVD/CD-RW and rebooted, but after it re-recognized the drive, my
> problem remained.
>
> I'd be very grateful to anyone with a suggestion. It's under warranty,
> but I'd hate to be without my computer for a couple weeks, and it
> doesn't seem like a hardware problem.
>
> Thanks for your time.

I have the same cd drive, XP Pro, service pack 2, and the exact same problem as the OP. Any ideas or solutions will be appreciated.

Steve

D@annyBoy

have you tried searching HP for a fix?

While sipping a glass of wine, I read that ak_hermit wrote in

steve carroll

Yes, I have searched HP, and have been scouring the Internet for 3 days
now. I have found many posts about the problem, but no real solution as
yet. I am trying to determine whether it is an actual hardware issue, a
driver issue, or what. I am still under warranty for hardware, but I
need to use the computer at work for another week before I can take it in.

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, drive cleaning, check disk,
spyware cleaning utilities, anti virus software, etc.

Steve