***** sp2 bREAKS eVERYTHING!!!!! *****

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Pretty bad, you have to blame everything including the cat issue on
SP-2.
Look closer, the cat problem is obviously a DOS issue.

?

=?iso-8859-1?B?uyBtcnRlZSCr?=

Denial Of Sandbox?

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| Pretty bad, you have to blame everything including the cat issue on
| SP-2.
| Look closer, the cat problem is obviously a DOS issue.
|
| --
| Jupiter Jones [MVP]
| http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

hermes

The said:
I'm appaled. Even the supposed MVP's reply with ignorance and stupidity. So
what the guy posted in caps, he or she is pissed. Don't tell me all you
people who reply don't get mad. Cut with the stupidity in return and try your
best for a change to give help not criticism. SP2 may break some peoples
computers and it will take some time for people to become familiar with its
idiosyncrasies. Until then learn some patience and empathy. Including you
Bruce. }:~(
Good answer! You would think that they might be able to understand that
this person is frustrated, especially when you consider that they have
(especially MVPs) defended the windows OS for the longest time which was
inherently designed to make computing easier for the average computer
illiterate person. SP2 implements an ungodly amount of changes and the
average computer illiterate person most likely is not equipped to handle
it all on their own. I think there should have been an obvious manual
or something to that effect included with the install for service pack 2
which explains the changes in laymans terms.

--
hermes
DRM sux! Treacherous Computing kills our virtual civil liberties!

Windows XP crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams

Mike H

If the OP had taken the time to read accompanying text on the download
website, it would have been clear that the version offered was not
essentially suitable for single machine install, despite what some were
suggesting.. bear in mind that 'lack of planning on his part does not
necessarily constitute an emergency on the part of anybody who chooses to
give their free time to answer queries in here'.. writing in CAPS does not
help the cause either..

But you seem like a couple of smart guys.. rather than take shots at MS and
the MVPs, perhaps you would be good enough to help your new found cause.. I
will step back and let you guys take my turn.. go for it..

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

Have you tried reinstalling or removing and reinstalling the applications?

Frank

Why do people even reply to these types of posts. There
have been releases in the newspapers, television and
several web pages that SP2 will break poorly written
code that allows security breeches.......?????

JAX

#3 would fit pretty well.

JAX

One entry found for detract.

Main Entry: de·tract
Pronunciation: di-'trakt, dE-
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin detractus, past participle of
detrahere to pull down, disparage, from de- + trahere to draw
transitive senses
1 archaic : to speak ill of
2 archaic : to take away
3 : DIVERT <detract attention>
intransitive senses : to diminish the importance, value, or effectiveness of
something -- often used with from
- de·trac·tor /-'trak-t&r/ noun
Yes, please turn-off your computer and stay away from it.
You should not be detracted from your school homework,
especially English composition and your innate ability to yell
"fire!" in a movie theater.

JAX

Hi Mike,

From what I've read, the reason for not taking the download is to cut down
on the demand on MS's servers and save the dial-up users from the
aggravation of downloading a 266 Mb file when all they would really need is
an average of around 72 Mb's to update. The automatic update will search
your system and only install the necessary components. The network download
is the entire SP2 package.

JAX

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Glad I am not the only one who saw the obvious..

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
Denial Of Sandbox?

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| Pretty bad, you have to blame everything including the cat issue on
| SP-2.
| Look closer, the cat problem is obviously a DOS issue.
|
| --
| Jupiter Jones [MVP]
| http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Damon

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\) said:
Have you tried reinstalling or removing and reinstalling the applications?

I see, the fix for everything Microsoft is REboot, REinstall, REload,
REmove, I am getting ready to REgurgitate because it is impossible to
do my real job and keep up with all of this SP2 BS at the same time.

In all seriousness, can someone even begin to explain why MS would
choose to include the most aggressive SP in history in auto updates
with 14 days notice when the precedent set with SP1 is that SPs are
not included in automatic critical updates?

We have use a mission critical app based on SQL and MSDE for local
installs and offline copies that completely sh*ts after SP2, and the
very reputable developer of the app is not ready for SP2 yet. (I hear
MS CRM has the same issues, so don't blame it on a poorly designed
app, it all worked fine before SP2).

I hear there is a tool that allows admins to block the SP2 download
from occurring when auto update is enabled, problem is I can not find
it anywhere. Anyone find the Easter egg yet? Had it been easy to find
I would have never found this thread and my 2c would not be here now
(as many here would prefer I see).

Guess I should have stuck with my gut and deployed SUS to manage
updates instead of believing that MS would manage updates on the
windowsupdate site in a responsible manner consistent with the needs
of users that depend on XP instead of using it as an entertainment
toy.

(e-mail address removed)
(go ahead spammers, it is an RBL spamtrap, the sooner you find me the
sooner I find your IP)
everyone else, remove the _rbl and send from a server not already in
the RBL.

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

I can't speak for Microsoft but if an application is no longer functioning I
prefer to first determine if the user has tried removing and reinstalling
the application to removing a Service Pack which is far more invasive. If
the removal and reinstall does not resolve the issue, then I move on to more
invasive remedies.

XP as an OS has several repair options but most applications do not. The
post to which I was responding didn't site any error messages or other
symptoms. Had the post to which I responded mentioned other symptoms such
as the system is now hanging, spontaneously rebooting or other signs of
crashing there were things I could suggest to find the source of the issue
as opposed to simply removing and reinstalling the application.

While based on the post, it would appear, SP2 was the source, that in and of
itself can be a symptom. Did the OP check for available updates for
applications and hardware before installing SP 2 which I must note at the
time of these posts was not pushed to the user but downloaded and installed
specifically by the user. Second, even if there are no specific app and
hardware updates, installing something that can so change the user
environment, it's not unreasonable to expect that some applications and/or
drivers might need to be reinstalled. Each system is different and how the
application hooks into the OS can be a factor.

For the record, I was opposed to making SP2 available through autoupdate and
I was quite vocal in my opposition. That said, it was no secret it was
eventually going to be pushed through autoupdate and user could at their
option turn the feature off.

<My Message>
<message>
I wanted to remove SP2 for other reasons.
After I cleared 400+ Meg disk space it removed itself cleanly.
dO tHIS iF yOU dON't lIKE it!
<!PCDATA></L33t></!PCDATA>
</message>
<from>
DJ
/from>

Robert

Maybe it is the computer user that doesn't know how to configue SP2. I
doubt it is SP2 that is the problem.