SP2 and Compatible/InCompatible games list

Chris, first, I very much appreciate your help. I have the latest IC
download (1.1) installed. It was required for the Insect Invasion Mod. The
link to the "How to troubleshoot multiplayer issues in Microsoft games"
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819836) seems to
provide the best detailed help thus far.

I was in the process of contacting Relic directly to ask if they could help.
I was going to tell them that when an attempt to host a multiplayer session
failed, I noticed an error message in their debug window (hitting the
backward apostrophe key brings up a debug window). The message is: "Net -
Failed to host a new session (DPNERR_? s:1,f:1 5,c 8185 (185)). This error
message appears to coincide with an error being reported by dxdiag. In
article #819836, Method 6, the user is instructed to run the Dxdiag
DirectPlay test. That is failing for me with the following message:
"DirectPlay test results: Failure at step 9 (Creating Session): HRESULT =
0x80158185 (error code)". Unfortunately the article doesn't say what to do
if the test fails. So it seems if I can track down and eliminate whatever is
causing error 0x80158185, I might be there. And people say computers are too
hard to use ;-)

I have a new system with XP Pro and SP2 already installed (as in its not
uninstallable) and I cannot install Warcraft 3 on it at all now. It worked
fine on my old system but cannot even get it to install.
So how do I go about getting a refund from MS for breaking my games? I have
a stack I can send to them for full credit.

Jimmy S. said:
Hi Robin,

This isn't a firewall issue, it's an Internet Explorer issue.
It's easy to make those changes, I'll post them if you like. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

RobinTh said:
Hi Jimmy,

I've add both game to my accept list on my firewall but problem be still.
Today, I'll back home and uninstall xp-sp2.... back to sp1... ^-^

It's better for me to do that. 'cause I have not much knowledge
about computer... ha ha ha... poor me!

Jimmy S. said:
Hi Robin,

You might be blocking popups and that site uses one to
deliver and install a game patch. I hope that helps! :)
Also, add them to trusted sites, and accept their cookies.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

I would like to include some of my playable game
which cannot run after install XP sp2

1. Flyff www.flyffonline.in.th
2. Khan www.khan.in.th

I decide to change my XP back to sp1
but I don't know how to do!

... anyone can help me please...

Ok I have compiled a list of games (mostly microsoft oddly enough) that
are
not compatible with Win XP SP2 due to either security/firewall/other
issues
by my OWN experience. These particular games we're troubleshooted on my
system as well as my 2nd PC on my LAN with all the latest updates,
drivers,
directx, router config. (Basically I have ruled out anything that could
possibly cause connectivity issues)

Please note: Before SP2 (i.e XP SP1) ALL games on the list worked
flawlessly
whether Single, Internet, or Lan based games.

Before SP2 install: (all games below work fine)

Freelancer
Command and Conquer: Generals
Command and Conquer: Zero Hour
Halo: Combat Evolved
Starwars: Battlefront
Rise Of Nations
Impossible Creatures
UT 2004
Warcraft III
Battle Chess (www.apezone.com)

After SP2 install:

Freelancer (works singleplayer, No LAN or Internet games) hangs in task
manager.
Command and Conquer: Generals (uneffected, works fine single, internet,
and
Lan)
Command and Conquer: Zero Hour (same as Generals, works fine)
Halo (same issue as freelancer)
Starwars: Battlefront (works fine singleplayer, Internet, and Lan)
Rise of Nations (same issue as freelancer)
Impossible Creatures (same issue as freelancer)
UT 2004 (works flawlessly single and Internet/Lan)
Warcraft III (works fine, Internet/Lan, single)
Battle Chess (same or similiar issue as freelancer) hangs in task manager

I can't say I'm an expert at Windows XP but I have spent hours
troubleshooting these games before and after the SP2 install and these are
my
findings.

I have other games that I have not tested yet but the list I have provided
will be updated as I get more info. Whether this is helpful or not to
anyone
i don't know, but these are just observations and tests I have run for the
last week or two.

ZoneMaster

Jimmy S.

Hi Jerry,

If you post details about the issue in your own thread,
we might be able to help you get the problem fixed. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Microsoft's Game Support Center: http://www.support.microsoft.com/games