SP 2 Install Problems

Mike

I've tried installing Service Pack 2 (and Service Pack 3 today) on my
Windows XP Home edition machine. I get to the point where I get the message
Inspecting Current Configuration. When it gets "Checking product key" in the
details box, I then get a message Internal Error Occured and then
Installation did not complete.

I have tried loading from auto update- express install, and from downloading
from the website.

Any ideas what's going wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

neil

You don't need to install SP2 then SP3 just go for SP3 if you want the
latest. Is the error during SP2 or SP3 installation.??
Neil

Mike

I get the same error when trying to install either. Have tried SP2 install
many times so thought I'd try SP3 but the same thing happens.

neil

Is your XP Home an OEM that came with the PC, or have you installed it your
self from a disk. (retail or OEM)
Neil

smlunatick

You meed at lest SP1 to be installed on the running version of XP before SP3
can be successfully installed. XP (original) will be qualify for the install
of SP3.

ANONYMOUS

Mike said:
I get the same error when trying to install either. Have tried SP2 install
many times so thought I'd try SP3 but the same thing happens.

Have you tried installing SP3 in SAFE MODE? When installing Service
Packs 2 or 3, the installation program does not check "product key" as
you say. Are you sure it is not some Trojan trying to takeover your
system? Service Pack 1a blocked some product keys but this may not be
the case in your system. I am assuming your system was running normally
before you tried installing SP3 (or SP2). Any reason why you didn't
update your system with SP2 some 4 years ago? SP2 was released in Nov.
2004 and I am surprised you didn't update your system soon after that.

hth

Mike

Ok, let's start again and ignore SP3. I only tried it to get around the fact
that I've been unable to install SP2. This problem has existed since SP 2
came out and I thought originally I would just get by without it as I
couldn't work out why it did not install. The version of XP I have came
loaded with the Dell computer I purchased.I run Norton Internet Security and
AOL if those make a difference. I would ideally like to install SP2 and go
from there. i.e. worry about SP3 in the future.

TaurArian

See if this helps Mike -

SP2 installation hangs at "Checking product key" phase
Posted by another user who got a response from MS Support:-

<quote>

There are 3 steps which we have to do to get the SP2 installed.

Steps are:

1) Please go into the CMD prompt (Start/Run --> cmd.exe )

2) Then type cd /d %windir%\inf and make sure we are in that directory.

3) Then type ren oem*.inf oem*.old, it will go back to the prompt after giving you some
error (Do not worry about it)

4) Then type ren oem*.pnf oem*.old1, it will go back to the prompt after giving you some
error (Do not worry about it)

5) Then goto start - run - type "%windir%\inf" and you will see the files in the folder.

6) Then find the file by name INFCACHE.1 and take a backup of it to desktop (by copying it
to desktop) and delete the INFCACHE.1 from c:\windows\inf.

7) Close all windows and reboot the computer to safe mode and start the installation of
SP2 and it should go fine.

<quote>

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

| I've tried installing Service Pack 2 (and Service Pack 3 today) on my
| Windows XP Home edition machine. I get to the point where I get the message
| Inspecting Current Configuration. When it gets "Checking product key" in the
| details box, I then get a message Internal Error Occured and then
| Installation did not complete.
|
| I have tried loading from auto update- express install, and from downloading
| from the website.
|
| Any ideas what's going wrong.
|
| Many thanks in advance.

westieben

Unknown;3122525 said:
Have you shut down Norton and tried?
"TaurArian" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
[...]

the
installation of
SP2 and it should go fine.

quote

--

"Mike" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
| I've tried installing Service Pack 2 (and Service Pack 3 today) o
my
| Windows XP Home edition machine. I get to the point where I get th

message
| Inspecting Current Configuration. When it gets "Checking produc
key" in
the
| details box, I then get a message Internal Error Occured and then
| Installation did not complete.
|
| I have tried loading from auto update- express install, and from
downloading
| from the website.
|
| Any ideas what's going wrong.
|
| Many thanks in advance.

-

why xp2 load xp3 that is it job don

Mike

Thanks for all the replies everyone but still nothing works. Is there anybody
with more ideas or even a way around this?

Would it be better for instance to update the operating system to Vista or
would this be just too complicated and risky?

Just to re-iterate, during the installation of Service Pack 2 it gets to the
point where it is "Checking product key" and then gives an "Internal Error"
message.

Any more help would be really great and appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

db.·.. >

microsoft provides
help with update issues
for free.

you can go to
microsoft.com and
browse around to
find and open a
service ticket.

if i recall there is
a link for assistance
on/at the webpage
were updates are
selected, downloaded.

Mike

Thanks, but if there is I can't find it.

db.·.. > said:
microsoft provides
help with update issues
for free.

you can go to
microsoft.com and
browse around to
find and open a
service ticket.

if i recall there is
a link for assistance
on/at the webpage
were updates are
selected, downloaded.

Shenan Stanley

<snipped>

Thanks, but if there is I can't find it.

Looking for the link for direct Microsoft support when installing Windows Xp
Service Pack 3 (I suggest you do that as opposed to trying to pass through
SP2...)

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

.. US:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131
.. CA:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11273&gprid=522131
.. UK:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11273&gprid=522131
.. AU:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11273&gprid=522131
.. Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

Mike

Yes, thanks.

The trouble though is that I need to find out why I can't install either of
them. There is no free service from Microsoft for SP2 as my original XP was
Manufacturer installed. There is however possibly help on it's way for SP3.
I'm just waiting to hear from Microsoft about this.

Thanks to Shenan Stanley for the prompt.

I'll let you know if that worked!