sorting a column with numbers and text

I am trying to sort a column with numbers and text eg;
..75-2-mbv-167
..75-2-mbv-168
2-2-mdv-004
1.5-1-mbfv-002
1.5-1-mbfv-001
these are identification tag's for valves.
I have over 2700 items with differnent code numbers!
I need help !

Jim Cone

And how should they be sorted?...
by the last three digits, the numbers after the first dash, omitting the dots or ?
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Ford35" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I am trying to sort a column with numbers and text eg;
..75-2-mbv-167
..75-2-mbv-168
2-2-mdv-004
1.5-1-mbfv-002
1.5-1-mbfv-001
these are identification tag's for valves.
I have over 2700 items with differnent code numbers!
I need help !

they should first be sorted by numbers, than text in alphabetical order and
last by the trailing digits in the propersequence ie;.75-2-mbv-167,
..75-2-mbv-168

in sequential order. ist by numbers, second by text, and third by trailing
number ie; 1.5-1-mbvf-oo2, should be followed by 2-2-mdv-004, if these were
the only two tag numbers i was trying to sort!