Some advice needed on Dell

Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing a fairly heavily customised Dell 4600 Dimension PC but after reading a lot of complaints about Dell I am not so sure. The PC I was after has it's specs listed below.

It's an expensive combination, even leaving out the 17" widescreen monitor, but I want a system that will last for at least a good few years!!!

Could you give me advice, first on Dell, and second on the setup I have chosen. I live in Ireland so a home-build is not as simple as in the UK. And this Dell, though seemingly expensive, is still alot cheaper then most 'Puter stores would offer!

Intel 865P chipset with support for Dual Channel DDR
Support For Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors with 533MHz System Base
Midnight grey mini-tower with 8 USB 2.0 ports, 3 PCI slots and AGP 8x slot
Integrated 10/100 Pro Ethernet
Norton AntiVirus 2003 (with 90 days free virus updates)

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Enhanced Support Packs: 1 Year Collect and Return Service

Processor Upgrade: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT technology 2.80GHz with 800MHz fsb

Memory: 512MB Dual Channel DDR (2X256MB DIMM)

Hard Drive: 40GB (7200rpm) IDE Hard Drive

Video Card: 128MB GeForce FX5200 8x AGP card with dual monitor support, TV-Out via S-Video and DVI

Monitor: W1700 - 17" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor and LCD TV (+ EUR EUR 666.00)

CD ROM, DVD, Read-Write Drives: 8x DVD+R\+RW with DVD Authoring Software

Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers

Sound Card: On-Board Sound

Modem: Dell 56k Data/Fax/Voice Modem

Keyboard: Dell Enhanced Multimedia Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Mouse: Dell PS/2 Scroll Mouse

Software: Microsoft® Works 7.0

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Dell, along with all the others, cut corners

My estimation for that spec machine, not including the ridiculous monitor, is £300, incl VAT. :eek:

Why?
... let me explain;

The MB they are using is not "full size" and therefore you actually will only be able to utilise 2 PCI slots, fine if you don't need any more. Ask them "who's MB are they using" then research it via Google.

CPU: 2.80GHz with 800MHz fsb sounds impressive ... but its not, its only a 200fsb ... "Quad Pumped" :rolleyes:

Memory: 512MB Dual Channel DDR ... no such thing exists, why they do this annoys me, 2 sticks are needed to allow the MB to access both RAM sticks at the same time, that then gives you a little better turn of speed.

8x DVD+R\+RW with DVD :confused: Who makes it? Better to have a + - and get the best of both worlds.

Video Card: 128MB GeForce FX5200 8x AGP card with dual monitor support, TV-Out via S-Video and DVI ... Sound impressive but its old and only costs £36.50 retail ... go for at least the FX5700 or better a 5900

Modem: Dell 56k Data/Fax/Voice Modem ... Nope. I have never seen a Dell that has yet to fit a "proper" modem ... what you find is an AMR = Audio Modem Riser: attempts to integrate the audio/modem functions into the motherboard by separating the analogue I/O functions of the modem onto a standard riser-card, while leaving the audio functions on the board. Ask for a "hardware modem" ... oops there goes one of your free PCI slots. :rolleyes:

Hard Drive: 40GB (7200rpm) IDE Hard Drive ... Oh come on Dell, we're all fitting 80/120s to our systems ... how far is a 40gig going to last you?

Software: Ensure you have the "original" CDs and NOT some sort of recovery disks ... in fact, insist on it. MS Works :spin: Make sure its the Microsoft Works Suite 2004 or forget it ... XP Home Edition, it will do, but I would insist on XP Pro.

Now, one of my pet hates, LCD TV/Monitors ... look, trust me, get a good 19" CRT monitor and a new TV and save some money. Put the money saved towards a better computer. ;)

... but I want a system that will last for at least a good few years!!!
Sorry, it’s not using "up-to-date" components and therefore has limitations from the onset.

In my opinion this system is NOT worth £600 retail. (excluding the monitor)

Reaction score
Cool, Criticism, I like it!
:D :bow:

I had realised a couple of the points you mentioned about Dell before I started the thread....... That the 512mb memory was two sticks instead of one. I chose the 40Gig drive as I already have another 40Gig drive available I do a fair amount of digital photography so I guess my needs would be more for processing power rather then HDD space. I was worried about the MB as I couldn't find a manufacturer, or review, anywhere on the Net about Dell Mobo's. And I was going to upgrade the Graphics to the ATI Radeon 9800............

............ And yes I admit it, I was just being flash about the LCD/TV!!!
:crazy: :spin:

Like I said, the Dell is cheap compared to the majority of computer stores here in Rip-off Ireland. And I would prefer a custom build anyway............. So I had also been looking at the following Spec 'Puter from www.Elara.ie

Antec Sonata Case 380W
ASUS P4S800, 800fsb, DDR 333, 8xAGP, 6 channel Audio, 5xPCI, 6xUSB
Processor P4 2.6GHz 512kb Cache 800mHz
OCZ 512 DDR333 PC2700
80Gig HDD
DVD +/-RW (manufacturer: MSI, I think)
Graphics Card, 9600XT Radeon

Price - EUR1200 (note, no monitor mentioned cos the above is fairly "bare-bones")

The Dell, minus the afore-mentioned ridiculous monitor was EUR200 cheaper for a similar spec........

So what'dya reckon, Is option B) the Elara, better then option A) the Dell? Or is option C) best of all..... ie, head across the puddle and buy in the UK?!?!

P.S. -----> No offence but what the hell is your problem with LCDs anyway?! (here's your que to have an envoyable rant!) ;) :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No offence but what the hell is your problem with LCDs anyway?!
None taken. :D

I'm all but resisted blind ... not to mention the fact that you need to lob off an arm AND a leg to be able to afford one that will actually work at a satisfactory refresh rate.

I like going around PCWorld with a screwdriver asking if I can have a "Look under the Hood", got the side off one once.

Is option B) the Elara, better then option A) the Dell? Or is option C) best of all..... ie, head across the puddle and buy in the UK?!?!
Option B is the better, at least you get a decent MB ;) however, option C would be my choice providing your not going to have to pay "import duty" when you return. But then if you pop over here by car with a computer in the boot to start with, who's to say it not the same one on your return. :D

Oh, and OCZ ram is 'overrated' … Kingston Value Ram (lifetime warrantee) is just as good ... and cheaper. ;)

Do you pay VAT in Europe???? or is that just another Tax the Irish government thought was a good idea to keep. :crazy:

Reaction score
I am fairly sure that if I were to take a new computer in the boot I wouldn't be charged VAT anyway......... after-all Customs need to know you have a computer in the boot before they charge you! :eek: :brow:

As I look at it, if you import anything reasonably small for personal use it's the job of customs to know about it not your job to tell them!
:D

As for the LCD, just as a point of interest. With the image not being interlaced like in a CRT, ie no flicker, surely its not as vital to have as high a refresh rate on LCDs as you do on CRTs? As for the price, yes, they are expensive but you are forgetting the flash-bugger discount and the smug-git rebate!!!

:D ;) :brow:

Reaction score
I just (two weeks ago) purchased a Dell Inspiron Laptop (2.4 Celeron 512 RAM 20GB HD) and am waiting for delivery on a 17’" flat screen
From a performance standpoint (my wife uses laptop for nothing more intensive than Office 2003) it is very fast, runs on the cool side and after I tweaked it, it boots up in 58 seconds and shuts down in 7.
There has been a lot of negativity as of late re Dell’s support (especially the tech phone support now from India.
I suggest you go to Dell’s community forums http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums
And check out the boards that relate to your system (check out the others too as you can get a feeling about Dell in general)
Don’t forget, the percentage of people complaining is a statistical wash since it does not reflect the unknown satisfied customers who obviously outweigh the unsatisfied or Dell would not be in business.
Cheers

Reaction score
I have just had an upgrade to my office pc (home is a home build), and you know that companies like Dell and compaq for their desktops.
It is the best work's pc that I have had. It is the dell precision 360 in a tower config. The absolute best is the case which opens easily by pushing two buttons into a clamshell type opening. The second is the heatsink which for the intel P4 2.6 is the size of half a house brick. I cannot claim that it beats my oc 1700+ at home for speed, it may be almost on a par for many tasks.
between the two I like mine but could easily live with the dell at home with a little tweaking.
My advice, buy the minimum config from dell and chose the extra bit's DVD rw etc. by mail order. This may give the best of both worlds if you are not heavily into customisation. I note the comments on mobo etc. and agree, personally I only use Abit.

Regards nkata.

ps bust my cherry on this one (first post) but am heavily into amdmb forums 600+ posts.

Reaction score
Hi :)
I brought a Dell just before christmas and picked several upgrades.
Whatever you do DONT get the TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E DVD burner, it is total and utter rubbish :mad:
There's hundreds of us complaining to Dell of problems this burner has but they dont want to know, no matter what speed you burn at it always takes 35 minutes to burn a dvd, it will only burn + media and finding discs that it will actually burn to is very difficult.
It seems to be a firmware issue but TEAC wont deal with it as they say it is a drive built specifically for Dell and Dell just wont deal with it

The rest of my pc is fine and have no complaints,

My first post and its a good moan :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think I'd rather eat my own foot than buy a Dell, unless, maybe, it was one of their laptops. they're not so bad.

But Dell are a law unto themselves, generally they're not very easily upgradable and their promo sales guff is a complete and utter pile of crock.

I'd say do some research and build your own or failing that, go to an independent dealer armed with some knowledge, discuss specs, request needs for what computer will be used for, then haggle a deal, you'll be much better off.

Mucks gave some excellent advice there, couldn't agree more.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've had my Dell for only 2 months, but its been magnificent.

I got the P4 2.8, 512 Dual channel DDR, 40 Gig maxtor, FX5200, CD RW, DVD and 17" CRT monitor.

Not had 1 single problem, I've had alook at the stuff inside and its all good quality, no skimping out. The case and PSU are of an extremely good quality.

I dont even have one small niggle about this computer, i can whach a DVD, have music playing and play UT 2004 all at the same time no probs.

The dual channel DDR really helps out alot ;).

I recommend Dell to all.

Reaction score
My personal experience of Dell has been a mixed bag.....System wise-excellent, service wise-terrible. I bought a Dimension 8300 last year, and it's been absolutely fine. So I decided to stick with Dell and order an Inspiron notebook......this is where my problems started.

I placed the order online, waited for my documents to arrive....four days later they hadn't. The contact email address they gave didn't work, and the phone number they gave me saw me passed back and forth between (what I believe to be) Ireland and India, with little courtesy in Ireland (they hung up on me), and friendly but initially unable to help in India. When I eventually manged to speak to someone, they told me they had no record of my order (despite me having a valid number).

Just today I've had to reorder (yes I know I'm prob asking for trouble, but the lappy from Dell matches my mobile!!!) and it's costing me about 70 quid extra 'cos I've missed the Double Memory offer....

I can't knock the machine though, It's been great for me.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Just a quick update on the dell thing....

a couple of hours after post previously, dell accepted my new oreder and email my news Docs thru!! GOOD WORK DELL!!!!!!

Ask a Question