so I'm still thinking about this problem

legion

if the mobo won't make it to bios maybe it is the problem

I assure you all at no point has metal touched the ic while charge was
applied EXCEPT at the mobo's mounting holes. There has been no tremendous
spark, noise, pop, sudden failure, smoke, or otherwise unpleasent odour of
burning tech.

At some point I may of killed the "stock" 300watt psu. But at all times I
worked to decrease the chance of a short or ground (to the mounting holes).
As someone called "nipples" raised humps meet and space the mobo, there is
no raised hump in an inappropriate place, the un-used hump screw holes are
plugged with a plastic cap. I am only using 4 screws (now with fibre spaces
salvaged from a 486) the mounds are still uninsluated from the bottom of the
ic screw hole, I do not know if this could be causing a ground fault
failure, however I do not think it is the case.

In addition, I seem to be having trouble with the FDD controler I understand
it could be the drive itself though, I have tried a different one with
simmiler results.

Funny how the psu died when I tried to insulate the ic better, or it could
of been a coincidence.

I have tried the RAM in slot 1 and slot 3

Currently there are no drives attached

You can only install the CPU one way right?

on the other hand, I have had the PC speaker plugged into the board, and of
course am yet to hear a beep.
now I am unsure if there is even a speaker at the other end of the wires.
And I am afraid I would damage the facade if I attempt to remove it. So
could it be a video problem?

I don't think so, the NUM-LOCK and simmilar lights do not come on so I
really think the system is not getting far enough to display anything.

well more later.......

JAD

barring the seating of the CPU/dead cpu, many times they are not
seated ALL the way into the zif. that board sounds dead/fried/bar b
queued

you do have the voltage selector in the back of the PSU set correctly?

legion

115v

thank you, I can try to seat the cpu better, and see if that works
also I just now realised that my NF7-S is v 2.0
the abit website says it accepts only up to an AMD 2700+ I believe, anyway
it doesn't list my CPU (xp 3000+ 333fsb)
but I figure it is just an old FAQ and I e-mailed the company

although the AMD site says the NF7-S v 2.0 supports up to the 3200+ 400fsb

I asked a bunch of Ignorant questions, sure, I expected the system to go
together fine
I did put everything together correctly the first time, then through lack of
details lead people to believe that I had placed the mobo directly in
contact with a metal surface.

I admit the thermal tape/paste thing is a little new to me
but I have yet to run the system for longer than 30-45 secs maybe not that
much, it is a long time to wait for a beep.

I am still unsure as to weather the speaker wire actually attaches to
anything, and I may rig a speaker just to see if the board has been beeping
the whole time, and its the #!#@$% video card that has been messed up the
whole time

still at it
no I don't have any friends
no I'm not going to take it in to the shop
no I'm not going to get a dell
no I did not screw the mobo to a metal plate
the plate has humps instead of standoffs
arn't the standerd fittings brass anyway?
and sill would be a metal to mobo connection

yes I still appreciate all of the constructive criticisim
and as I said I believe the CPU was DOA and I would just like that to not be
the case, and am trying whatever I can to rule that out

JAD

no I did not screw the mobo to a metal plate
the plate has humps instead of standoffs
arn't the standerd fittings brass anyway?

I looked back to see if you clarified this. The humps or indents on
the back plate still require the brass standoffs at least for everyone
I've done. Is this what you have done?

John Doe

Troll.

From: "legion" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: so I'm still thinking about this problem
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 01:24:58 GMT

[...]

Gareth Tuckwell

legion said:
[...]

You don't mention the power button at all - you have to have the PSU plugged
into the motherboard and then switched on at the back next to the power
inlet connector. BUT you ALSO must have the power button from the case
attached to the header connectors on the motherboard (make sure its the
right place) - the on/off switch on the back of the power supply only allows
current to flow, it won't turn the machine on! When you turn on the power at
the back of the PSU, the fans might spin slightly as the current jumps into
action, but the power on is handled on the motherboard these days so you
must press the front ON button to get anywhere.

Also check that you don't have the BIOS reset jumper in the wrong place - if
that is set to reset then nothing will happen.

David Maynard

JAD said:
I looked back to see if you clarified this. The humps or indents on
the back plate still require the brass standoffs at least for everyone
I've done. Is this what you have done?

I don't know what he's got but there *are* mobo trays that have the
'standoffs' built in. I have one with cute looking stamped 'domes',
threaded in the middle. That one is a relatively old case, though, and I
can't say how common, or uncommon, it might be.

sbb78247

David said:
I don't know what he's got but there *are* mobo trays that have the
'standoffs' built in. I have one with cute looking stamped 'domes',
threaded in the middle. That one is a relatively old case, though,
and I can't say how common, or uncommon, it might be.

I have seen them with built in stand offs too. Rare, but they are out
there.