Snap - DOS based graphical menuing system?????

Lee

Years ago, there was a DOS based graphical menuing system called SNAP.
It went freeware back in the early 90's.
I've had a stroke so I have problems remembering proper nouns.
The publisher was a fairly well known name, but this was outside what
they normally produced.
All I can remember about the publishers name is that is was a 'cutesy' name.

Any of you old pharts here like me, but with good memories remember
anything about this?

I've googled for hours but can't come up with anything. I have found a
treasure trove of old free DOS software.

A friend of mine is a missionary in central Africa and can get old PC's
and this would be ideal on top of DOS 5. He is trying to set up
educational stuff for kids in remote villages.

Regards
Lee in Toronto

hummingbird

Thanks very much. I have the last one book marked, but wasn't aware of
the first two.

I also wrote some huge menu systems using 4DOS a few years ago.
It has now gone freeware ..v7 or summat.

Jeff Needle

One of my favorite was written by David somebody, who also did "David's
Readme Compiler," one of the best ways of generating a readme help system in
DOS. I used it, and his menu system, extensively back then. His name may
have been David Harris.

Ross

Years ago, there was a DOS based graphical menuing system called SNAP.
It went freeware back in the early 90's.
I've had a stroke so I have problems remembering proper nouns.
The publisher was a fairly well known name, but this was outside what
they normally produced.
All I can remember about the publishers name is that is was a 'cutesy' name.

Any of you old pharts here like me, but with good memories remember
anything about this?

I've googled for hours but can't come up with anything. I have found a
treasure trove of old free DOS software.

A friend of mine is a missionary in central Africa and can get old PC's
and this would be ideal on top of DOS 5. He is trying to set up
educational stuff for kids in remote villages.

Regards
Lee in Toronto

My favourite was Magic Desk. It was shareware that didn't expire.
Just do a search on mdesk320.zip

Magic Desk is a graphical DOS menuing system that lets you easily
run all of your programs without having to remember cryptic DOS
commands. Magic Desk is unique because it has all the advanced
features found in menuing systems designed for adults, yet it is
so safe and simple that even young children can use it. It's
incredibly easy to set up your programs to run from Magic Desk.
Simply enter the program title, where the program is on disk, and
the name of the icon you want to use to represent the program.
File pick-lists make your job even easier. Magic Desk will create
a large 3-D button with the icon you've chosen. From then on, you
can start the program simply by selecting the button with the
mouse or keyboard. When your program is finished, Magic Desk
automatically reappears so you can select another program. It
couldn't be any easier!

You can use readily available Microsoft Windows icons, or you can
design your own with the easy-to-use icon editor built into Magic
Desk. Magic Desk allows you to set up multiple levels of menu
pages which can hold a virtually unlimited number of programs.
You can password protect individual programs or entire menu pages.
You can assign hotkeys to run particular programs or open menu
pages. You also have the option of providing variable program
parameters at the time you run a program. Magic Desk has a built-
in screen blanker and usage log. It also allows you to use PCX
files as background images. Magic Desk does not remain in memory
while it is running your programs.

Hengist_Ludd

Years ago, there was a DOS based graphical menuing system called SNAP.
It went freeware back in the early 90's.
I've googled for hours but can't come up with anything. I have found a
treasure trove of old free DOS software.
A friend of mine is a missionary in central Africa and can get old PC's
and this would be ideal on top of DOS 5. He is trying to set up

Don't know about SNAP but did you find the BEST "treasure trove of old
free DOS software," the Free Software for DOS Web site? Its Menus &
Program Executers page is
http://short.stop.home.att.net/freesoft/menu.htm

I hope your friend is prepared to accept "some assembly required." Some
menu systems have to be set up from scratch, and the ones with automatic
set-up often need editing.

Susan Bugher

One of my favorite was written by David somebody, who also did "David's
Readme Compiler," one of the best ways of generating a readme help system in
DOS. I used it, and his menu system, extensively back then. His name may
have been David Harris.

Sho enuff - could this be THE David Harris (author of Pegasus Mail)?

David's Readme Compiler is available here:
http://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/txtutil.html

drc21.zip 265722 Jun 22 1993
David's Readme Compiler, freeware, D.Harris
ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/txtutil/drc21.zip

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone

I really don't mean to bump this old topic, but it's one of the only discussions I could find about the "David's Readme Compiler, freeware, D.Harris"

What I would like to ask is, being that this was designed for DOS, and that I run XP, the only way I can get this to work is through the DOS BOX emulator.

I attempted to try to follow the instructions, but I could not get past step 1; creating a file.
Can anyone tell me if they are able to get this program to work? Or am I just out of luck trying to do it through an emulated process?

If it can't be done!?... can anyone tell me if any other programs are available where I could make a readme-esq EXE file with a simmilar style layout to this program? As in you open the "EXE" file, see an index or title screen, then scroll through index's to chapters etc... the README.EXE in that download is exactly what I want to create. The "README" opens fine, it's just creating that I am having problems with and would appreciate anyone's help here.