Slow performance

B

Bruce

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro and performance has been very
sluggish with the computer not responding at times. An
article in the Microsoft knowledge base talks about the
BIOS processor cache being set to write-through instead of
write-back. The recommendation is to change the BIOS
processor to write-back. How do I make this change?

C

Colon Terminus

I doubt seriously that this is your problem. I've seen tens of thousands of
BIOSes and have NEVER seen one where the default setting was NOT
write-through.

You need to read the manual that came with your computer to find out how to
view/change the BIOS settings on your particular computer. They're all
different.

G

You didn't indicate what cpu you are running win2000 on. Earlier motherboards allowed the user to change the way the cache was abled but speed drops dramatically if the cache is disabled and this is a signal the onboard battery may be going. Entering into the bios is easy enought by hitting F2 or delete when the boot process starts. The hitting of which key is dependent on whose bios is present and can be seen when the system starts on the screen.
Normally it flashes hit this key to enter setup. Record on paper the values before you start changing things because the system will lock up if you hit the wrong combination and try to start it and you will need these values to change back to. On some makes you get a display screen showing the brand name ,Acer did this and a couple of others, and you must hit the key then to enter setup. Good luck

Ask a Question