Slow 2d redraws with 9800XT

Richard Wingrove

Hi people, hoping you can help with a little problem...

Just installed my shiny new Radeon 9800XT, installed the 4.7 drivers. For
some reason, my 2d redraw rate has gone right down - whenever I drag
windows, they're really jerky, and the same for scrolling windows like web
browsers.

I've tried searching the newsgroups and the web, and tried suggestions like
reinstalling the drivers a few times, moving the slider on the SMARTGART
display settings tab, disabling VPU recover and disabling the secondary
monitor. None of this has made any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate some help!

System is Athlon 2800+, 512 MB RAM, Windows XP sp1

Cheers,
Rich

Richard Wingrove

Richard Wingrove said:
Hi people, hoping you can help with a little problem...

Just installed my shiny new Radeon 9800XT, installed the 4.7 drivers. For
some reason, my 2d redraw rate has gone right down - whenever I drag
windows, they're really jerky, and the same for scrolling windows like web
browsers.

I've tried searching the newsgroups and the web, and tried suggestions like
reinstalling the drivers a few times, moving the slider on the SMARTGART
display settings tab, disabling VPU recover and disabling the secondary
monitor. None of this has made any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate some help!

System is Athlon 2800+, 512 MB RAM, Windows XP sp1

Hmm, the plot thickens. According to dxdiag, DirectDraw and Direct3d aren't
supported by the drivers. That was with DX9b, just installed 9c and has the
same problem. Oh well, off I go to the Ati website again...

Rich

NoRemorse

Richard Wingrove said:
Hmm, the plot thickens. According to dxdiag, DirectDraw and Direct3d aren't
supported by the drivers. That was with DX9b, just installed 9c and has the
same problem. Oh well, off I go to the Ati website again...

I had similar symptoms (the slow redraws) when I forgot to uninstall the old
drivers. You could try using an uninstall utility or a driver cleaner to get
rid of old drivers and reinstall.

Shawk

NoRemorse said:
I had similar symptoms (the slow redraws) when I forgot to uninstall the old
drivers. You could try using an uninstall utility or a driver cleaner to get
rid of old drivers and reinstall.

Try re-installing the mobo drivers - you may have 'lost' your AGP driver
somewhere. Shaun

Keanu

Richard Wingrove wrote in message said:
Hi people, hoping you can help with a little problem...

Just installed my shiny new Radeon 9800XT, installed the 4.7 drivers. For
some reason, my 2d redraw rate has gone right down - whenever I drag
windows, they're really jerky, and the same for scrolling windows like web
browsers.

I've tried searching the newsgroups and the web, and tried suggestions like
reinstalling the drivers a few times, moving the slider on the SMARTGART
display settings tab, disabling VPU recover and disabling the secondary
monitor. None of this has made any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate some help!

System is Athlon 2800+, 512 MB RAM, Windows XP sp1

Cheers,
Rich

Go get Catalyst 4.9 here: They are Doom3 hotfix, but works wonders.
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html

The idea is to 'reinstall' the drivers.. And Catalyst 4.9 is an excellent choice,
even in beta form; It's rock solid.

The last TIP, that might surprize you is the 'mouse' poll rate... and display
refresh rate... Make sure your destop is well over 60Hz refresh rate, then
Setting the mouse poll rate to the 100Hz rate makes a HUGE difference
when you drag windows around.

There are utilities for that matter...Some suggest as high as 125Hz poll rate.

"Until recently, PS/2 has been the standard adapter type for a mouse.
Most PS/2 devices operate at 30-40 polls/sec in Windows 9x and 60 polls/sec in
Windows NT. The faster the sampling rate of your mouse, the fewer signals that will be
lost and the more precise the mouse will feel. Universal serial bus ports have become
the new standard for the mouse and a majority of other computer peripherals. USB
features a polling rate fixed at 125 poll/sec."

I'm using an OLD freeware, but you can find some utilities, like that`..
"Keyword, PS2 rate" over Google
http://www.3dcenter.de/downloads/ps2rate-w2k.php
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/81/ Change it from registry !
http://www.mydesktophelp.com/tips/hard11.htm

Don't disable anything..... Just reinstall 4.9 over your older 4.7 driver.
Then tune your mouse with a poll rate of about 100Hz, is plenty.
and make sure your video refresh rate is decent (70Hz+).

Hope it helps
Regards.

Richard Wingrove

Shawk said:
Try re-installing the mobo drivers - you may have 'lost' your AGP driver
somewhere. Shaun

Yup, I think I hadn't installed the Via 4in1 drivers when I upgraded.
Reinstalled those, DirectX and the Catalyst drivers and it works fine!

Cheers,

Rich