Slip Streaming

i have a windows xp professional cd, i recieved the xp SP2, which i wanted to
integrate with cd i have, so i copied the cd to the hard disk, and i used the
program of the slip streaming to do this job(auto streamer1.0), i succeded in
creating the integrated Copy, but i found that the integrated copy is about
850 MB, i want to put this on a cd but i don't know how. as we have only 750
MB cd's available

Jim Macklin

AutoStreamer version 1.33 is current, I think./

"Shady Mamdouh" <Shady (e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
|i have a windows xp professional cd, i recieved the xp SP2,
which i wanted to
| integrate with cd i have, so i copied the cd to the hard
disk, and i used the
| program of the slip streaming to do this job(auto
streamer1.0), i succeded in
| creating the integrated Copy, but i found that the
integrated copy is about
| 850 MB, i want to put this on a cd but i don't know how.
as we have only 750
| MB cd's available

Colin Barnhorst

Mine was only 639mb. Are you trying to slipstream the entire SP2 cd
contents?

Jerry

The instructions I've read when doing a Google search on slipstreaming.
Every one of the articles said you must download the SP2 update, not use the
CD.

Timothy Daniels

I've read a lot of those instructions, too, and I never found a passage
stating that one should not use the CD, although there are a lot of
directions on how to use the downloaded file. Could you give a link
to instructions that say not to use the SP2 CD?

*TimDaniels*

Jerry

NO. By the articles mentioning you must use the SP2 download it is easy to
arrive at a conclusion that only the download will work to make the
slipstream CD. This is further supported by the "PC Magazine" article 'Build
an XP-SP2 Recovery Disc' in the issue dated Feb 8, 2005, pages 76-77.

No mention of using the SP2 CD is, by default, an acknowledgement that it
should not be used.

Colin Barnhorst

Actually, the magazine can't assume that a person has the cd. They can
assume that a person can download SP2, so anyone can follow their directions
whether he has the cd or not by using the download. The absense of a
mention of the cd does not imply that the cd cannot be used. Now, if you
find an article that states explicitly that the cd does not work for
slipstreaming, that would be more definitive.

Timothy Daniels

And that logic is, of course, incorrect. There are no
articles that I could find (or that you have quoted) that say
one MUST use a downloaded SP2 and NOT the SP2 CD.
They merely explain the procedure for using the downloaded
version. As far as I can tell, there just are no articles that
explain the procedure that uses the SP2 CD. In other words,
absence does not prove the rule. I suspect that the only
difference is that the .exe file on the CD might be named
differently from the .exe file in the download and that this
only impacts the file name used in the command line that
starts the integration process.

*TimDaniels*

Colin Barnhorst

You're correct, but service packs are not updated. There are not versions
of Service Pack 2. Further changes are done through the normal patches,
etc.

Microsoft did subsititute Service Pack 1a for Service Pack 1, but there was
a compliance issue involved.

Colin Barnhorst

Paul's site is amazing, isn't it? He even uses the CD version of the
filename in the process.

RWS

Yes, and I might add that I did use Paul's article to successfully
create a slipstream CD. I happened to use the download file
because I already had it in a folder, but I could have copied the
file from the CD to a folder instead. I did not know if the download
file might be updated or not, so thanks for clearing that up for me.
It seems that the people that were so concerned about using the
file from the CD were actually worrying about nothing. It's the exact
same file with two different names, just like -
"A rose is a rose by any other name"
(well the exact same variety of rose, I guess).

Colin Barnhorst said:
Paul's site is amazing, isn't it? He even uses the CD version of the
filename in the process.

RWS said:
The only possible difference between the download file
and the one on the CD would be if the download file
was updated after the CD was released. Here is one
site on slipstreaming that mentions using either file:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Timothy Daniels

Thanks for that link. Here is the crucial passage:

"The download version of this file is named
WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe, while the CD
version is called xpsp2.exe. However, both are identical,
save for the name."

*TimDaniels*