Simple Freeware Database?

Bob Newman

I am looking for a very small & elementary freeware database. Only 2
qualifications. It must support a form view and also have many field
capability. I do not need to perform any calculations or relative stuff.

Dan Goodman

I am looking for a very small & elementary freeware database. Only 2
qualifications. It must support a form view and also have many field
capability. I do not need to perform any calculations or relative stuff.
A personal wiki might be what you want. Some are freeware, some aren't.
One place to start:

Guide to Personal Wikis
Note Studio. Guide to Personal Wikis. What is a wiki? A wiki is a simple
system for creating and modifying a web of pages. Whilst ...
www.dogmelon.com.au/ns/ Guide%20to%20Personal%20Wikis.shtml - 10k - Aug 15,
2004 - Cached - Similar pages

I've begun using Notebook203, whose home page is at
http://www.wjduquette.com/notebook/

MightyKitten

Bob Newman said:
I am looking for a very small & elementary freeware database. Only 2
qualifications. It must support a form view and also have many field
capability. I do not need to perform any calculations or relative
stuff.

3 possibilities come in mind:

There is windbf: (http://www.buchenwald.de/software/windbf-e.html)
But then you'll have some german language in the interface

Treeline: (http://www.bellz.org/treeline/feature.html)
Though more a treepad databases, it could wordk for you...

MyKeyDB: (http://www.jansfreeware.com/)
Is supposed to have a grid layout form feature. I've not found it yet, but
then, I use it not that much at the moment

MightyKitten

--

http://www.it-hulp.nl/
http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl/

gmx.net is the mailserver of mightykitten
start subject with *ping* or the antispam monster will eat it.

xtort

There may be this one option: use a database that uses .csv files.
these files can be import/exported into/from excel/access etc. Then
just make a web-based form to suit your needs for data entry.

There is this really cool little app, called 'CSVed' which is a
replacement for the CSVdb he used to distribute.
http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

best,
xtort
[xtort.net]

Bob Newman

A appreciate all your suggestions. Let me ask you this, maybe it's not a
database I need at all. There actually will only be one record with many
fields. Name, address, phone, employee, dob, job description, date of
promotion (each listed), etc., etc.. Each employee will have his own copy
he will be responsible for keeping up to date. There will be no master list
just many people having there own data although supervisors may want to look
at it from time to time, thus the form view requirement for easy
readability. Different employees will have need for a different number of
fields so that would have to be customized for each. Is there something
other than a database program for this?

Thanks again Bob

xtort said:
There is a screenshot of that CSvEd app here:
http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/csved/preview.htm

best,
xtort
[xtort.net]

"Bob Newman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
I am looking for a very small & elementary freeware database. Only 2
qualifications. It must support a form view and also have many field
capability. I do not need to perform any calculations or relative
stuff.

xtort

FOr something like this which has to be accessed by several people, a
web-based application would maybe be good. Like a server-side script
driven (like PHP, ASP, etc) web form, which feeds data into a flat
file (text-based file, like csv.) This probbaly would be a flexible
solution for you. A free ware database driven by php, while not
requiring a database (like MySql) may be this:
http://ffdb-php.sourceforge.net/
(maybe off-topic, as it is not a freeware executable file )

best,
xtort
[xtort.net]

xtort said:
There is a screenshot of that CSvEd app here:
http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/csved/preview.htm

best,
xtort
[xtort.net]

"Bob Newman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
I am looking for a very small & elementary freeware database. Only 2
qualifications. It must support a form view and also have many field
capability. I do not need to perform any calculations or relative
stuff.

mike555

Bob Newman said:
A appreciate all your suggestions. Let me ask you this, maybe it's not a
database I need at all. There actually will only be one record with many
fields. Name, address, phone, employee, dob, job description, date of
promotion (each listed), etc., etc.. Each employee will have his own copy
he will be responsible for keeping up to date. There will be no master list
--- snip ---

=== maybe what you want is several copys of " treepad lite " , it's
very small and someone can set it up with "fields " in a template for
each person to ad their own info ...(text only)
http://www.treepad.com/ =======

JunkMonkey

You might try a spreadsheet with a forms capability. They exist, but I
can't tell you their names cause there are other people who regularly visit
this forum who have hissy fits when you mention anything other than freeware
even though many people who post questions here frequently first care about
getting a particular job done while the free requirement is secondary. And
if you mention a particular Microsoft spreadsheet that has forms capability,
or a particular Corel spreadsheet with forms capability or even a particular
Lotus/IBM spreadsheet with forms capability that is in a very SMART looking
SUITE that can often be purchased for $20 US, sometimes even less, they go
absolutely apoplectic! So, sorry, I can't help you.

You might look at the spreadsheet in OpenOffice, but I don't know that it
has forms capability. However I have personal knowledge that many
spreadsheets I can't tell you about do have forms capability.

Otherwise you will need a flat file database. And you are mistaken about
there being only one record. each employee will need to be a separate
record, otherwise you will have a very hard time controlling access only to
the fields a particular employee should access. Certain high end databases
COULD do it, but it wouldn't be pretty, nor would it be particularly easy to
use, or easy to manage.