Simple DNS Question?

Tom Rossi

QUESTION: If you have an XP workstation with multiple network
adapters each with their own primary and secondary DNS's, which will
the workstation query first? Is there a command that will show you
the search order?

IPCONFIG will show you what your workstation has for dns servers on
each adapter, but not which will be queried first. NSLOOKUP appears
to automatically connect to the first DNS in the search order, but I'm
guessing.

I thought this was a simple question, but I haven't been able to get
an answer anywhere.

Thanks!

Deji Akomolafe

If you open your "network Connections", click on "Advanced", then "Advanced
Settings", you will see where you can arrange your multiple NICs binding
order. Needless to say that whichever one is connected at a particular time
is the one that is used ;) However, if you connect 2 or more of them at the
same time (e.g. LAN and Wireless), then the binding order settings
influences the priority of use.

HTH

--
Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
www.akomolafe.com
www.iyaburo.com
Yesterday? -anon

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

In Tom Rossi <[email protected]> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
:
: IPCONFIG will show you what your workstation has for dns servers on
: each adapter, but not which will be queried first. NSLOOKUP appears
: to automatically connect to the first DNS in the search order, but I'm
: guessing.
:
: I thought this was a simple question, but I haven't been able to get
: an answer anywhere.
:
: Thanks!

It will try to use the adapter that is at the top of the binding order as
Deji said, but any DNS server you use should be able to answer any DNS
query.
That said, if you have two NICs on your Workstation, with one for your LAN
that is connected to an AD domain, the other for your internet connection,
both adapters need to have only the DNS for the AD domain. The reason is
that ONLY IT can resolve the AD domain, if the DNS for the AD domain is
configured properly, it will resolve any name on the internet anyway. Using
your ISP's DNS on any NIC, no matter what the NIC connects to is going to
give you problems and errors when trying to connect to your local resources.
Also, all NICs should not have a DNS suffix that does not match the name of
your AD domain if the machine is configured to register its addresses in
DNS.
Example: If you have an AD domain example.com and your ISP is example.net
and you set your NIC up as below:
Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : host
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : example.com<-----------AD Domain
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : example.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : example.net<----------ISP's
domain
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI
Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

If this NIC is configured to register in DNS, even though you have your
local AD DNS server only listed, it will try to register its host name in
your ISP's zone. Even if your DNS does not use your ISP's DNS as a
forwarder, your DNS will find the DNS server for example.net through
recursion and send the registration request to it.
When a machine is a domain member and it is configured to register its host
name in DNS NEVER put any domain name except a name that supports DDNS for
that name. This is especially true for domain controllers.
This gets even worse if you have your ISP's DNS listed for DNS on the NIC
because not only will it try to register it addresses in the ISP's zone, it
will also try to register its addresses in the zone for the public DNS zone
that hosts example.com. So you could be offending two DNS servers by trying
to register its addresses in them.

I hope my explanation is clear.

Ron Lowe

Tom Rossi said:
QUESTION: If you have an XP workstation with multiple network
adapters each with their own primary and secondary DNS's, which will
the workstation query first? Is there a command that will show you
the search order?

IPCONFIG will show you what your workstation has for dns servers on
each adapter, but not which will be queried first. NSLOOKUP appears
to automatically connect to the first DNS in the search order, but I'm
guessing.

I thought this was a simple question, but I haven't been able to get
an answer anywhere.

Thanks!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...rodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prork_overview.asp

William Stacey

Related to new version of netdig 1.7. Use /chkall switch to quickly check
a name and type against all servers in the DNS list. This does not tell you
the current search order of your resolver, but it will tell you if one of
your servers is not responding to the query or if there is some other error.
Then you can drill down further.

C:\Temp>netdig www.test.com /chkall

Checking www.test.com a on 2 servers:

192.168.0.221 replied NOERROR.
4.2.2.2 replied NOERROR.

All servers replied successfully to query.

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

In Tom Rossi <[email protected]> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
: QUESTION: If you have an XP workstation with multiple network
: adapters each with their own primary and secondary DNS's, which will
: the workstation query first? Is there a command that will show you
: the search order?
:
: IPCONFIG will show you what your workstation has for dns servers on
: each adapter, but not which will be queried first. NSLOOKUP appears
: to automatically connect to the first DNS in the search order, but I'm
: guessing.
:
: I thought this was a simple question, but I haven't been able to get
: an answer anywhere.
:
: Thanks!

After re-reading your question, there is a simple answer, it will use the
Preferred DNS on the default adapter. The default adapter is the first
adapter in the binding order, or if looking at the ipconfig /all it will be
the first DNS on the adapter listed at the top of the ipconfig /all. The
default adapter can be modified by adjusting the binding order in network
properties, Advanced Menu, Advanced Settings.

Tom Rossi

Kevin D. Goodknecht said:
In Tom Rossi <[email protected]> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
: QUESTION: If you have an XP workstation with multiple network
: adapters each with their own primary and secondary DNS's, which will
: the workstation query first? Is there a command that will show you
: the search order?
:

After re-reading your question, there is a simple answer, it will use the
Preferred DNS on the default adapter. The default adapter is the first
adapter in the binding order, or if looking at the ipconfig /all it will be
the first DNS on the adapter listed at the top of the ipconfig /all. The
default adapter can be modified by adjusting the binding order in network
properties, Advanced Menu, Advanced Settings.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

I think we are getting there! Here is the problem. When I connect to
my VPN at the office, I need XP to use the DNS's provided by the PPP
connection. I've moved [REMOTE ACCESS CONNECTIONS] to the top of my
bindings, but it continues to query the DNS's associated with the LAN
Adapter. Is there anything else I should have to do?

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

In Tom Rossi <[email protected]> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
: :: In :: Tom Rossi <[email protected]> posted a question
:: Then Kevin replied below:
::: QUESTION: If you have an XP workstation with multiple network
::: adapters each with their own primary and secondary DNS's, which will
::: the workstation query first? Is there a command that will show you
::: the search order?
:::
::
:: After re-reading your question, there is a simple answer, it will
:: use the Preferred DNS on the default adapter. The default adapter is
:: the first adapter in the binding order, or if looking at the
:: ipconfig /all it will be the first DNS on the adapter listed at the
:: top of the ipconfig /all. The default adapter can be modified by
:: adjusting the binding order in network properties, Advanced Menu,
:: Advanced Settings.
::
:: --
:: Best regards,
:: Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
:: Hope This Helps
:: ============================
:: --
:
:
: I think we are getting there! Here is the problem. When I connect to
: my VPN at the office, I need XP to use the DNS's provided by the PPP
: connection. I've moved [REMOTE ACCESS CONNECTIONS] to the top of my
: bindings, but it continues to query the DNS's associated with the LAN
: Adapter. Is there anything else I should have to do?

Let's get this straight, you want to use the DNS of the PPP or the VPN?
Your making the VPN connection through the PPP connection?
Once you make the VPN connection through the PPP it will ignore the DNS on
the PPP connection. The VPN makes a direct connection to the VPN server, you
have no choice but to use the DNS defined in the VPN or the DNS defined on
your NIC. If there is no DNS defined on the VPN the only DNS available to
you is the DNS on your NIC. The ISP's DNS on the PPP is ignored and all
resolution must come fron the VPN or the NIC. Also if the PPP is your only
connection to the internet once you make the VPN connection your internet
access must come from the VPN. If you don't get internet access from the VPN
you must close the VPN to get access to the internet.
Is this less confusing? :)
Or are you even more confused? :-(

Kadaitcha Man

Tom Rossi said:
"Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I think we are getting there! Here is the problem. When I connect to
my VPN at the office, I need XP to use the DNS's provided by the PPP
connection.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Now you tell him. You total ****tard.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Kevin D. Goodknecht said:
In
Tom Rossi said:
Kevin D. Goodknecht said:
[...]

Just to add, VPNs make it a bit more confusing and may not resolve internal
resources (such as AD resources, log on server, etc). In these cases,
sometimes it's easier to put these entries into a HOSTS file on the local
client machine.

Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

Kadaitcha Man

In these cases, sometimes it's easier to put these entries into a HOSTS
file on the local client machine.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! You 100% Ace ****wit. BWAHAHAHAHHAAH!!!

Tom Rossi

Kevin D. Goodknecht said:
[...]

Kevin, thanks for the reply! I'm sorry for the confusion. My VPN
connection shows up as a PPP connection. Basically, I have two
adapters (if I do an IPCONFIG). The one is my network adapter and the
other is my PPP Adapter (VPN). Here is the problem, my computer does
NOT send the DNS queries to the DNS entry associated with my PPP
adapter. It continues to send the queries to the network adapter.

I have gone into the bindings and moved [Remote Access Connections] to
the top of the list, but it continues to query the LAN DNS.

Am I making sense?

THANKS!!!!

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

In Tom Rossi <[email protected]> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
: :: In :: Tom Rossi <[email protected]> posted a question
:: Then Kevin replied below:
::: message :::: In :::: Tom Rossi <[email protected]> posted a question
:::: Then Kevin replied below:
::::: QUESTION: If you have an XP workstation with multiple network
::::: adapters each with their own primary and secondary DNS's, which
::::: will the workstation query first? Is there a command that will
::::: show you the search order?
:::::
::
[...]

Are you able to ping the correct DNS or run nslookup against it?

Tom Rossi

Kevin D. Goodknecht said:
[...]

Yes, I can ping it and run nslookup against it. When I first launch
NSLOOKUP, it uses the server associated with my LAN which was another
indication to me that it is not using the bindings to determine the
appropriate DNS.

Tom Rossi

:::: Tom Rossi said:
[...]

I'm sorry I did not get back sooner your message didn't show in my
newsreader until today.
I think this might be your issue read this and try the registry entry.

Cannot Change the Binding Order for Remote Access Connections
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311218