Shooty things

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Not allowed here in UK without a special licence so very few people have them.

Not like in the US where a huge percentage of folks own one.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not an owner, but we go clay shooting at least once a month. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Not an owner of a proper shoot em dead gun. But do have various paint ball and airsoft guns. Was big into airsoft for a while, and do go on regular paintball games :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Used to shoot Years ago with a friend using 12 gauge over and under pump action and side by side shotguns, haven't been shooting in a while though!

Reaction score
Yes when I was a lad, had a 4/10 when I was 10 then a 12 bore when I was 14. I moved up to a SLR 7.62 when I was in the Royals with access to bigger stuff if required:D. But nothing now as I now prefer to watch nature and human life rather than killing it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have a first generation Glock 17 which I frequently use to kill pigeons and a modified Heckler and Koch G36 that I sometimes use to go Chav hunting in Peckham, Hackney and Tunbridge Wells.

Great fun :)

Reaction score
:DYes There are some horrendous Chavs in Tunbridge Wells and many catch the 7.30 train to Waterloo and London Bridge 5 days a week so by going to those stations you could save time, money and the hassle of the travel distance and be able to spend more time in Peckham.and Hackney:thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
London Bridge is only down the road from you innit Mr Flopp's..:D :lol:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
No guns here, but my stepson goes hunting quite a bit. When I was a kid my Dad used to take me hunting... I got extremely good at 'not hitting' rabbits by the shortest of distances. My Dad could never figure it out.... I think the difference between here & the US is definitely cultural though, not legal. Over here it's actually easier to get a gun licence than in the US, but very few people have one because guns are just tools and only owned if it's to do with work (eg. some farm work) or a hobby (such as hunting). They are just not seen as items of personal or property protection. it puts an interesting slant on things when you stop & think that in the US the primary attempts to reduce the ownership of guns has to be through the law & tighter gun controls. Scary really.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On a serious note, if I may, guns have never held any interest for me. Ever. My entire experience of guns is firing an illegal pistol into a brick wall a few times when I was around 19 years old and several clay pigeon shooting sessions which I actually enjoyed and was, dare I say it, quite good at. And just the once I went out at twilight time with a bruv-in-law to show me the ropes and bagged a couple of rabbits with a shotgun in Somerset, in sight of the Glastonbury Tor it was. We ate those rabbits in a stew the next day, and very nice too :)

Possibly a paradox as I do enjoy a good fps, especially WW2 ones. But no, never had an inkling to possess a firearm. I also favour the current UK gun laws, I'm sure we have less fatalities by restricting gun ownership.

As a kid I remember cut out pistols on the back of cereal packets which could be cut out and then have an elastic band fitted and shoot cut out cardboard bullets. Was raised on the usual (for the time) cowboy and WW2 fims, John Wayne et al, very politically uncorrect and we all played with toy soldiers and had toy guns.

None of the fellas I knew grew up to be mass murderers or get themselves a gun and shoot people. In fact, nobody I know is a member of a gun club or shoots for a hobby, apart from a few who go clay pigeon shooting.

However, those I know who illegally own a fiream are many, perhaps I shouldn't say that on a public forum ;)

Reaction score
Royal, did you fire the Lee Enfield or was it straight on to the SLR?
As for shooting chavs, no need as in Croydon they like to take each other out with mac9's.
But hey why stop them if they want to leave the gene-pool and get off benefit!!

Reaction score
I have fired a Short Lee Enfield Mk 3 but when I joined the Royals they had been issued with the SLR 7.62. It took to the late 1960's to supply all branches and reserve forces to be supply the SLR, obviously front line troops were the first. The War Office, Air Ministry and Admiralty had been looking for a new personal weapon since the end of 2nd WW as the Lee Enfield was outdated since before the war. The next real combat that affected the world was the Korean War and because of the urgency of getting troops out there many Battalions were flown out there BUT were unable to take out their arms as it was banned by some of the countries they over flew so had to be rearmed in Korea they were re armed with the Belgian FN 7.62 rifle which was an automatic weapon. This was a bit of a problem because it could not be fired single shot and caused a difficulty in supplying enough ammo to the front line as troops they were letting off a complete magazine when one or round was sufficient. The weapon was rugged and reliable and as accurate as a platoon weapon needed to be also NATO was switching to the 7.62 calabre round so that it would be available to all troops of NATO should the balloon go up if the USSR invaded Germany. The British version of the FN built in the UK under license was a semi automatic version so as to stop over enthusiastic riflemen wasting ammo. The Lee Enfield because of its accuracy over a long distance was still used as a sniper weapon fitted with a scope for a few years, but already has been superseded by many other rifles.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
When on holiday in VietNam I visited the Cu Chi Tunnels, about 30 miles from Saigon, which was a major centre for the invading North VietNamese. It is now a museum which is fascinating. They have a firing range where you can have a go with either the US M1 or a Kalashnikov.

I chose the Kalashnikov and for $1 was given ten rounds. There were various targets to aim at and I didn't hit any of them. I was told that the M1 was far superior as a gun but that the Kalashnikov was always the gun of choice, especially for guerillas. Thing is that you can drag it through water, mud, sand and anything else and it will still fire. Not particularly accurate but it works every time. Not the same with more sophisticated weapons.

I know which one I would choose if I had to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Royals had (don't know if it is still there) at Eastney Barracks a weapons museum of captured firearms also some of the UK forces obsolete kite, some of the more modern ones one could fire if there was ammo and if you were lucky to be asked, I had a go at schmisher machine pistol which was far superior to our sten gun.of the same time of manufacture.:thumb:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Not particularly accurate...

Depends on the manufacturer — 7.62 RK 62

(I spent a year in an intimate relationship with "assault rifle 62"... and that was it for me (& guns) — I don't hunt. The idea that people buy guns in order to defend themselves against other people... in OECD countries... sad.)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
yeah, I have to admit that I did enjoy shooting tin cans and was good at it, but the first time my Dad took me out rabbit hunting (I don't know hoe old I was but he left when I was 7yo so pretty young) he shot a rabbit with a Deer rifle because he wanted to show me how it would turn the rabbit inside out. He thought it was hilarious but I never ever wanted to actually shoot a living thing after that. I was very good at archery when we did it at highschool but could never afford to take it up as a hobby. It's just not popular over here so equipment is expensive and unless you own a nice big field there's nowhere to target shoot :(

Reaction score
If we have a ban on guns hoe is it that these youngsters and not so young,get hold of them and then go around to the people who "dissed" them and blow them away?
historian

Ask a Question