shift Y axis

I have a question similar to IgorM (6/22/2006) posted, I think.

In simple way describe:
We have a XY (scatter) chart with lines connect points.
Our X axis scale is 0 to 40 with major unit of 5.
Since there is several data point at 0 of X axis, we would like to move Y
axis cross at -1 of X axis (in Excel default Y axis cross at 0 of X axis).

So how do we shift Y axis to -1 of X axis still keep X axis scale of 0 to 40
and not showing -1 of X axis.

James Silverton

Terry wrote on Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:17:01 -0700:

T> In simple way describe:
T> We have a XY (scatter) chart with lines connect points.
T> Our X axis scale is 0 to 40 with major unit of 5.
T> Since there is several data point at 0 of X axis, we would
T> like to move Y axis cross at -1 of X axis (in Excel default
T> Y axis cross at 0 of X axis).

It's an **x-axis option**, "Y-axis crosses at...." Right click
the x-axis and go to Scale.

James Silverton.

Jon Peltier

Unfortunately the invariant point is the axis minimum, so in order to have a
tick mark at zero, you have to cross axes at an integral number of major
units below zero. In other words, min = -5, major unit = 5, axis crosses
at -5, etc.

- Jon

I tried before I send this.
When Y axis cresses at smaller than minimum, nothing happens.

By the way we don't want anything smaller than 0 show up at X axis.

The problem is we don't want any addition X axis smaller than -1.
So, this will work but this is not the way we want.

The figure will be used on professional journal, it shout not have any
X-axis that from -5 to -1 if there is no data there.

James Silverton

Terry wrote on Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:17:02 -0700:

T> By the way we don't want anything smaller than 0 show up at
T> X axis.

??>> It's an **x-axis option**, "Y-axis crosses at...." Right
??>> click the x-axis and go to Scale.
??>>
??>> James Silverton.
??>>

I guess I see what you want and the only thing I can think of at
the moment to have the zero line unobstructed is to have
"y-axis crosses at maximum" checked, which places the y scale on
the right.

James Silverton.

James Silverton

James wrote to Terry on Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:44:59 -0400:

T>> By the way we don't want anything smaller than 0 show up at
T>> X axis.

??>>> It's an **x-axis option**, "Y-axis crosses at...." Right
??>>> click the x-axis and go to Scale.
??>>>
??>>> James Silverton.
??>>>
JS> I guess I see what you want and the only thing I can think
JS> of at the moment to have the zero line unobstructed is to
JS> have "y-axis crosses at maximum" checked, which places the
JS> y scale on the right.

Another possibility suggests itself tho' I admit it is a bit
clumsy. After copying the chart with the y-axis crossing
position set at, say -10, open a graphics program and paste. The
unwanted ticks and the "-10" could be erased. As I said, it's
clumsy but I tried it and it's quite easy.

James Silverton.

Jon Peltier

Then you have to set the min, max, and spacing that you want, hide the
"normal" axis labels, and use a helper series to apply (hidden) points and
data labels. For the labels, you can simply use the X values, so it's
simpler than the examples on my web site which require an additional label
range:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

- Jon