Sharing email

Leslie Isaacs

Hello All

I have a peer-to-peer network of 5 PCs (one of which is used purely as a
fileserver) running Windows 2K Professional , and Offfice 97 Professional.

Currently only one of the PCs has email set up, with Outlook. I would like
to change this so that all the 4 workstations can be used to send and
receive email, with access to all the same (shared) Outlook folders. How do
I set this up?

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks
Leslie Isaacs

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Leslie Isaacs said:
Hello All

I have a peer-to-peer network of 5 PCs (one of which is used purely as a
fileserver) running Windows 2K Professional , and Offfice 97 Professional.

Currently only one of the PCs has email set up, with Outlook. I would like
to change this so that all the 4 workstations can be used to send and
receive email, with access to all the same (shared) Outlook folders. How do
I set this up?

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks
Leslie Isaacs

You need to run MS Exchange on your server. The "Small Business Server"
package would probably fill your bill very nicely.

Under Outlook 98 (and possibly Outlook 2000) you could use the
"Net Folders" facility to share Outlook folders. I believe that it was
not very robust. If you need further details, repost in an Outlook
newsgroup.

Herb Martin

Pegasus (MVP) said:
"Leslie Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
You need to run MS Exchange on your server. The "Small Business Server"
package would probably fill your bill very nicely.

Or at least some SMTP/POP server.
(possibly free but at worst cheap)

Exchange it great but if all you need it Internet mail,
you probably don't need to pay all that for Exchange.

Even SMTP/POP may be more trouble than it is worth
when there are dozens of different ways to get free or
very cheap email service unless you are not on the
Internet or don't want the internal mail leaving your
LAN (Internet and back.)

Just using Hotmail accounts might do the trick.

Or the new GMail on Google -- technically this is
an invitation only Beta but it is pretty easy to ask
around and get an invitation from someone else who
is on it.

Then there are inexpensive services from companies
like GoDaddy.Com.

GoDaddy is best known for Internet registration but
they also offer cheap email hosting.