Sharing ADSL Internet Connection at Home with Work Laptop

G

I have ADSL connected to my Win XP Prof computer at home through USB. I have used network wizard for my other computer (Win XP Prof) using a workgroup and shared the internet connection, no problems
I have tried the same with my wifes work laptop (Win XP Prof) but it connects at work to a domain based network and therfore I can't set it up with the network wizard at home. I only want to allow the laptop to access the internet connection, I dont need any file or printer sharing. Is there a way to set this up without having to reconfigure domain and network settings.

C

Chuck

I have ADSL connected to my Win XP Prof computer at home through USB. I have used network wizard for my other computer (Win XP Prof) using a workgroup and shared the internet connection, no problems.
I have tried the same with my wifes work laptop (Win XP Prof) but it connects at work to a domain based network and therfore I can't set it up with the network wizard at home. I only want to allow the laptop to access the internet connection, I dont need any file or printer sharing. Is there a way to set this up without having to reconfigure domain and network settings.

If all you want to do is configure the laptop to access the internet, and the
configuration at work uses DHCP, then you're in luck.

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/27129/27129.html

If the normal configuration for a network device uses DHCP to get settings, and
no DHCP server is available, the fallback has the device allocating an APIPA
address. Optionally, you can specify an IP configuration to use instead of
APIPA.

As long as one configuration uses a DHCP server, and the other uses a fixed,
preset configuration, the Alternate Configuration will work for you. For IP
configuration. Moving between domains is a bit more complicated.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question