Sharing a mapped drive

G

I have a small branch office that is geographically separated from the home office of a company. The Windows 2000 Server (PDC) at that branch office has a one-way initiated, persistent VPN connection to the server at the home office (also a Windows 2000 PDC). I have been able to map a drive from the home office PDC to the branch office PDC -- no problem. The connection is stable and solid, and I can use that drive (from the server) as if the server were a PC on that LAN at the home office

The issue is this: I need to give the PCs, on the branch office network, the ability to interact with that mapped drive and the information that is contained on it. When I right click on that drive (on the server), I am not given any sharing options. There HAS to be a way to share this out. I have attempted to connect the PCs to the home office network via the VPN, but it only allows one PC to connect at a given time. Really, the most efficient solution would be to have the branch office PCs map the mapped drive and work from there. That would keep the information "local" (to a degree), and it would allow for the use of "live" data as opposed to caching and synchronizing

If anyone has any ideas for me...I would GREATLY appreciate the assistance. Please e-mail me at: (e-mail address removed)

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Stev

G

YOU SHOULD JUST MAP THE DRIVE VPN DESTINATION ON EACH
CLIENT. ARE BOTH SERVERS ON A DOMAIN. YOU SHOULD CREATE A
TRUST BETWEEN THE DOMAINS IF THE CLIENTS CAN NOT ACCESS IT
THE WAY THE SERVER IS. CAN THE CLIENTS PING THE IP ADDRESS
OF THE CLIENT YOU ARE TRYING TO REACH

G

The servers are in two different domains, yet there is a trust established between them. The client PCs can ping the IP address of their local server (which has the remote drive mapped on it), but they cannot ping the remote server itself (either by IP address or by name). Actually, they CAN ping the WAN IP address of the remote server. The local server can ping the remote server by its WAN IP address, its LAN IP address, and by its name. I have the drive mapping on one of the PCs, but it cannot access the mapped drive unless I am VPNed into that server directly.

Ask a Question