Sharing A Mapped Drive

G

I have a small branch office that is geographically separated from the home office of a company. The Windows 2000 Server (PDC) at that branch office has a one-way initiated, persistent VPN connection to the server at the home office (also a Windows 2000 PDC). I have been able to map a drive from the home office PDC to the branch office PDC -- no problem. The connection is stable and solid, and I can use that drive (from the server) as if the server were a PC on that LAN at the home office

The issue is this: I need to give the PCs, on the branch office network, the ability to interact with that mapped drive and the information that is contained on it. When I right click on that drive (on the server), I am not given any sharing options. There HAS to be a way to share this out. I have attempted to connect the PCs to the home office network via the VPN, but it only allows one PC to connect at a given time. Really, the most efficient solution would be to have the branch office PCs map the mapped drive and work from there. That would keep the information "local" (to a degree), and it would allow for the use of "live" data as opposed to caching and synchronizing

If anyone has any ideas for me...I would GREATLY appreciate the assistance. Please e-mail me at: (e-mail address removed)

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Stev

L

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

You can't share a mapped drive. You can only share something that's on your
own computer/server. Sort of like on the grade-school playground - you can't
share a toy that isn't yours.

There may be some workaround to get you what you want, but I don't know it -
perhaps some guru will post another reply.

Sounds like you might need a site-to-site VPN via two routers/firewalls, to
give everyone in the office access

Ask a Question