Setup did not find any hard drive installed...

Mill

Dell XPS 200 with XP Pro (if I can get the OS loaded).
I can see the hard drive when I install it in my main system.
I have changed the BIOS to make hdd ATA. I put the
hdd in the Dell and ran Hiren and found and fixed some bad
sectors. There were supposedly all fixed.

But that proves that Hiren can find the hard drive.

I can't find the setting in the BIOS that is preventing the setup OS
from finding the hard drive.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Millie

Michael Hawes

Mill said:
Dell XPS 200 with XP Pro (if I can get the OS loaded).
I can see the hard drive when I install it in my main system.
I have changed the BIOS to make hdd ATA. I put the
hdd in the Dell and ran Hiren and found and fixed some bad
sectors. There were supposedly all fixed.

But that proves that Hiren can find the hard drive.

I can't find the setting in the BIOS that is preventing the setup OS
from finding the hard drive.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Millie
Contact Dell?

Mike.

JAD

Mill said:
Dell XPS 200 with XP Pro (if I can get the OS loaded).
I can see the hard drive when I install it in my main system.
I have changed the BIOS to make hdd ATA. I put the
hdd in the Dell and ran Hiren and found and fixed some bad
sectors. There were supposedly all fixed.

sectors are rarely 'fixed'
Does the BIOS see it on the Dell?
Bios is AUTO detecting the HD?

Mill

JAD said:
Does the BIOS see it on the Dell?
Bios is AUTO detecting the HD?

NO, I don't see it in the BIOS. I have been through the BIOS settings
maybe 10 times. I can't find any reason for it not to show up. If I pull
the hdd and put it in another system, it acts just like a perfectly good
hdd should. I can drag and drop stuff onto it with no problem. And
it of course shows up without a problem.

Mill

Does the BIOS see it on the Dell?
Bios is AUTO detecting the HD?

If I F12 into the Boot Device Menu, I can choose Hard Drive Diagnostics
and it sees it has Boot Drive 0 - St3160023AS but it fails the diagnostics
test with a Return Code 7. Not sure what that means.

It is out of warranty so I can't get any info from Dell without paying.

JAD

Return Code 7

Dead drive (or soon to be)

Mill said:
If I F12 into the Boot Device Menu, I can choose Hard Drive Diagnostics
and it sees it has Boot Drive 0 - St3160023AS but it fails the diagnostics
test with a Return Code 7. Not sure what that means.

It is out of warranty so I can't get any info from Dell without paying.

Mill

JAD said:
Return Code 7

Dead drive (or soon to be)

F12 Boot Menu has a Choice for Symptom Tree which is a boatload of tests
that it
does based on symptom. I chose the cannot boot to OS and it is running. It
has
already passed the sata disk for several tests (seek, read, self test,
S.M.A.R.T., and
is almost done with a test that has ran for a very long time so it must be
testing all of
the sectors).

I think I will try a fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0 just in case. But since I am
in this menu
I will let it do it's thing.

Thanks, I did google and got many hits on the Code 7 referring to a bad
drive. But
I hope it is just a master boot record that is corrupt which would explain
why it works
in my network so well.

JAD

Dumb Ass Mark Bender,

Return Code 7 is Dell Diag Output =A Damaged drive and soon to die. Please STFU loser
biach.

JAD

You'll notice that John Doe ****wit left you with no solutions to your problem. Typical.
The Dell diagnostic software will prevent A good Boot as long as it is enabled and
detecting a bad drive. Your drive had/has bad sectors, the drive is dying. Another thing
Joan Doe the biach didn't read.

Mill

One thing that bothers me is that I pulled my drives out of my system and
put
in the Dell drive so that it was the only drive in my computer (home built)
and my XP Pro retail cd and it started to load it just fine.

I put my c drive in
the dell just for kicks and got a blue screen which figures. But when I put
the
dell hdd back in the dell, it can't find any hard drives installed. It is
like there
is a problem with the BIOS for that hdd, but heck if I can figure it out. I
don't
have a new SATA to stick in this thing. I guess I will have to get one
tomorrow.

JAD

Mill said:
One thing that bothers me is that I pulled my drives out of my system and put
in the Dell drive so that it was the only drive in my computer (home built)
and my XP Pro retail cd and it started to load it just fine.

I put my c drive in
the dell just for kicks and got a blue screen which figures. But when I put the
dell hdd back in the dell, it can't find any hard drives installed. It is like there
is a problem with the BIOS for that hdd, but heck if I can figure it out. I don't
have a new SATA to stick in this thing. I guess I will have to get one tomorrow.

Have you cleared the CMOS (pull the battery / short the jumper yet)?

John Doe

"John Doe" <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message

I gather you have some problem with JAD??

Besides the obsessed troll JAD's inability to read or comprehend the
posts he replies to?

You said the drive works very well in your system. That provides basic
troubleshooting knowledge. If a device works in a different system (in
this case yours), the problem isn't with the device. There might be
exceptions, but that's the rule. It's so obvious, I thought you were
making fun of JAD's conclusion that the drive is bad even though "it
works so well in your system".

Good luck.

John Doe

You'll notice that John Doe ****wit

That's your mother talking, JAD.
Your drive had/has bad sectors, the drive is dying.

Anything is possible, JAD, but then Mill's statement "it works so well
in my system" would be false. It's basic troubleshooting, JAD.

John Doe

JAD said:
Dumb Ass Mark Bender,

And JAD's mother is a smart ass.
Return Code 7 is Dell Diag Output =A Damaged drive and soon to die.

If the obsessed troll JAD reads Dell's diagnostic codes like he reads
posts here in this group, no telling what it means.
Please STFU loser biach.

I have a BFG 7950GT/512MB, the obsessed troll JAD has a crappy x1300.
Enough said.

JAD

I have a BFG 7950GT/512MB, the obsessed troll JAD has a crappy x1300.
Enough said.
that was the stupidest thing you have said so far. keep up the good work....I'm sure the
OP really appreciates your obnoxious bullshit. What a sad little girl you are.

John Doe

JAD said:
that was the stupidest thing you have said so far. keep up the good
work....I'm sure the OP really appreciates your obnoxious bullshit.
What a sad little girl you are.

You need to brush up on your rhetoric JAD. You use the extremes like
"stupidest ever" way too much. That makes for bad writing.