Windows XP services.msc

CSB

Reaction score
My comp isn't on a network or anything and I'm pretty sure that there must be some services running in the background that I don't need, but which one's would be safe to disable in services.msc etc???

I did once have an official Microsoft Windows XP magazine where they gave information on what ones would be ok to disable, but I've since lost it tut

Anyone know any?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Why?

No, really, why?

I have 41 processes (CAD), of that, 19 are under my name ... that is 19 pieces of software that I have installed have their own processes. Some can be "disabled" or not installed like scanner software I do not need. As for MS's own processes, 22, I just let them do their own thing. Of that 22 several are again from software I have installed, like my AV.

However, there is one "process" that I do detest, and that is, msmsgs.exe (messenger) and I simply renamed it to msmsgs.sav ... of course now I cannot use MSN and that sort of crap, but then I don't want it. ;)

What I'm saying here is ... get to know your system and just turn off the rubbish you do not need under your own name ... leave Windows to sort the rest, it really does do a good job. You ain't gonna gain anything from turning off a load of services you think you do not need.

JMHO

user.gif

CSB

Reaction score
Ok Mucks

Just asking, you never know till you do, not everyone is a grand master of comps :(

Thanks for the reply

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
CSB said:
Ok Mucks

Just asking, you never know till you do, not everyone is a grand master of comps :(

Thanks for the reply
Me neither ... :thumb:

user.gif

Ask a Question