Service Pack 3 CD

CANDHXO

After a recent problem with a virus, I'm using sfc /scannow to try to
identify and replace changed versions of Windows system files. The scan is
finding changed files and keeps asking me for "Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3 CD." I don't have one and as the service pack is downloaded
from Microsoft, I don't believe there is one. All I could find from
Microsoft is a download for SP3 that makes an image CD. I tried this and it
doesn't work. There's no way to continue the sfc scan without inserting the
proper disk. Can anyone help?

Shenan Stanley

CANDHXO said:
After a recent problem with a virus, I'm using sfc /scannow to try
to identify and replace changed versions of Windows system files.
The scan is finding changed files and keeps asking me for "Windows
XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD." I don't have one and as the
service pack is downloaded from Microsoft, I don't believe there is
one. All I could find from Microsoft is a download for SP3 that
makes an image CD. I tried this and it doesn't work. There's no
way to continue the sfc scan without inserting the proper disk.
Can anyone help?

Create an integrated Windows XP with SP3 CD.
(Google for 'slipstream SP3 into Windows XP' and/or 'nlite' and/or
'autostream'....)

John Inzer

Shenan said:
Create an integrated Windows XP with SP3 CD.
(Google for 'slipstream SP3 into Windows XP' and/or 'nlite' and/or
'autostream'....)
==============================
Could the following download be useful?

Windows XP SP3
http://tinyurl.com/5u5tzp
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

John

Not sure if this works but you can try extracting XP SP3 to your hard drive.
When asked for a CD, point it to the folder where you extract SP3.

CANDHXO

I'm a novice, here, but is "extracting" to my hard drive a different process
than running the installation? I'm assuming yes -- how do I "extract" without
installing? I'd rather not have to reinstall the entire SP3 and risk all
sorts of issues.

Perhaps, I can extract to a folder and burn it to a CD. The sfc /scannow
program does not allow you to browse your computer for a file(s) -- it looks
to the CD drive and that's it.

Jose

Not sure if this works but you can try extracting XP SP3 to your hard drive.
When asked for a CD, point it to the folder where you extract SP3.

I don't think you can change where sfc /scannow is looking for file
while it is running and complaining. That would be nice though.
There is a suggestion box in the lobby.

The location of the source files is in the registry, so you could
extract just the SP3 files to the HDD and change the registry so sfc /
scannow looks to a folder.

The registry entry sfc wants to use is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

So change it to point to the SP3 folder. It will automatically assume
you mean the i386 folder in the specified source location, so your SP3
files need to be c:\<someplace>\i386 where someplace is the folder.
So if your source is c:\sp3files the files need to be in the c:
\sp3files\i386 folder.

Make a nice new XP installation CD with SP3 slip streamed in to avoid
future issues like this.

JB

I also got a virus (today) and it filled in 3 files from the XP Pro Service
Pack 3 which I'm pretty sure I downloaded as well. I was thinking of
downloading as well. I will try some of the links you specified. Thanks.
Janet

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Are you CANDHXO?
I also got a virus (today) and it filled in 3 files from the XP Pro
Service
Pack 3 which I'm pretty sure I downloaded as well. I was thinking of
downloading as well. I will try some of the links you specified.
Thanks.
Janet

Daave

And thanks for the comment, Janet; it seems it might be relevant to OP's
situation. Unfortunately, you tucked it away in another thread where
many people simply won't see it! As a public service, here it is folks:

<quote>
For anyone that is concerned, I was informed by my virus protection (CA
Security Center) that I had 14 quarantined viruses and 3 infected files
and
it said to download the XP Service Pack 3 with the CD. I never got the
CD,
it was online. When I finally called Frontiernet my ISP, they said that
CA
Associates were having an issue with their system and to not worry about
the
infected files as they were false positives. Hope this helps anyone
having
these problems. They said they would have it fixed by tomorrow. I
hope. JB
</quote>

JB

Oops, sorry Daave, I tried to place it as a stand alone comment so others
could see it but apparently it didn't work. My system seems to be fine today
as my ISP said it would. I am going to do another virus scan to make sure
though.

Daave

Glad to hear things are back to normal. Hopefully CA will be much more
careful in the future!

Pegasus [MVP]

CANDHXO said:
After a recent problem with a virus, I'm using sfc /scannow to try to
identify and replace changed versions of Windows system files. The scan
is
finding changed files and keeps asking me for "Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3 CD." I don't have one and as the service pack is downloaded
from Microsoft, I don't believe there is one. All I could find from
Microsoft is a download for SP3 that makes an image CD. I tried this and
it
doesn't work. There's no way to continue the sfc scan without inserting
the
proper disk. Can anyone help?

You probably have ETrust from CA Virus Protection installed. One of their
updates went bad today and it quarantined a number of Windows system files.
Your best bet is to open the CA Anti-Virus panel and restore the quarantined
files

Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
hey ive got this problem too - and im on the other side of the pond (austin,texas) -
now i know that:
1. you can get an iso of Service Pack 3 to burn as a CD
2. if you click continue you 'toast' your OS
3. the virus may disable restore
4. that the virus wipes out the files in the folders: windows\servicepackfiles\servicepackcache\i386 and windows\servicepackfiles\i386\lang
5. gives a flaky notice about reactivating windows if you reinstall

i think this was a drive-by virus from a link on digg to a game ... Mark of the Assassin

the next step i am going to take is to copy those files from my second drive that i loaded my OS to and see what happens ... i will know in about 3 minutes ... here goes...if the virus can copy files or delete then maybe i can too ... 4 minutes remain

restarting using prior OS ... fail ... thats what i know so far ... bookmarking to keep u updated on my quest for fire

yeah, just read all that stuff above ... yeah was running CA ... yeah switching to MAC ... enuff is enough

Last edited: