Serial Port Communication in Windows PE

G

Hi, windows EXPERT

I am new to windows XPE. My company is trying to manufacture a PC and I was told to write a Test program on this PC without touching the hard disk. Therefore I was suggested to use Win PE (Preinstallation Environment) from the Win XPE CD to boot up. It has booted up successfully by it seems that the SERIAL COM port cannot be detected. I wonder whether it is because of the missing windows serial com driver or not. Do you know how can I install this serial com driver, so I can use serial com for my test program? Thank you !

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi,

I have no idea about licensing issues with using Win PE with your application.

Why don't you create XPe EL-torito image?
Sooner or later you will have to do this if CD is the only option for you.

Regards,
Slobodan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? Tell Microsoft!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danny said:
Hi, windows EXPERT,

I am new to windows XPE. My company is trying to manufacture a PC and I was told to write a Test program on this PC without
touching the hard disk. Therefore I was suggested to use Win PE (Preinstallation Environment) from the Win XPE CD to boot up. It has
booted up successfully by it seems that the SERIAL COM port cannot be detected. I wonder whether it is because of the missing
windows serial com driver or not. Do you know how can I install this serial com driver, so I can use serial com for my test program?
Thank you !!

K

KM

And just to add to that.

Technically it may be very hard adding any feature to WinPE.
AFAIK, WinPE is not documented and no WinPE components are listed.

Making your own El Torito XPe image is an easier way.

Ask a Question