Serial Parameters

G

In Event Viewer, I get the message - Source: Serial; Type: Error; Event ID: 18; Description: No Parameters subkey was found for user defined data. This is odd, and it also means that no user configuration can be found.
The other interesting effect is that (I have 3 serial ports - 2 plus a modem) whenever I change the settings for any port, it appears to change the settings for all ports. i.e. if I change the Baud Rate, it changes for all ports.

Any insights on how to figure out the problem would be appreciated.

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Joe,

Use regedit to check values under:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Ports\

Does only one values changes or all of them?

Best regards,
Slobodan

Joe said:
In Event Viewer, I get the message - Source: Serial; Type: Error; Event ID: 18; Description: No Parameters subkey was found for
user defined data. This is odd, and it also means that no user configuration can be found.
The other interesting effect is that (I have 3 serial ports - 2 plus a modem) whenever I change the settings for any port, it
appears to change the settings for all ports. i.e. if I change the Baud Rate, it changes for all ports.

G

Hello Slobodan,

Thanks for the response. I think I figured this one out. I was using Hyperterminal to check the port parameters and it appears to maintain the port settings even if you select a different COM port. This may be the desired behaviour for the app.

There are 4 sets of values for 4 com ports in the registry and they do not match the Hyperterminal port settings.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Joe

Ask a Question