sequential numbering

majestyk

I am trying to setup a membership number count based upon a date of
payment. In column A is the member number, column B members name,
column C the date of payment. The number is ONLY allocated when the
date of payment is entered. So there may be several names who have as
yet not paid at at certain time. What I need is some sort of formula
or code that can look up and down the column and enter a number +1
after the last number found. This number has to remain static attached
to that particular row. Everything I have used so far returns a
circular reference or does not remain static. is there a database
formula with XL07 that may do this?

thanks
Jonathan

Jim Cone

You could set up a separate cell with a Title over it: "Next Number"
and in the cell use formula: = Max("A1:A1000") +1
Use that number for each new member.
You probably need another formula to tell you whether a number is
duplicated in Column A (no matter how you end up assigning numbers).
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA