Send Mail: The current document type can not be sent as mail. Would you like to send a shortcut in

faels

I am having trouble sending only >SECURE< web items via the "File |
Send | Page by Email" feature in IE 6 SP1. I have tried it on several
platforms, so it is not tied to any one operating system. I am able
to send >NON-SECURE< pages using this feature without a hitch.

Outlook 2003 is my default mail application under "Tools | Internet
Options | Programs | E-mail" in IE. I have added the "Level1Remove"
value to the HKCU area of the registry with "URL;INK" as data, in
hopes of bypassing the Outlook security settings. I have also done
the same on our Exchange Server in the "Outlook Security Settings"
public folder.

It is still blocking these actions, and claiming that my .url
attachment is potentially unsafe.

It seems like the "Level1Remove" value is not being parsed, but I may
be wrong. What can I do to allow my users to send >SECURE< pages via
email?

If you can help me, you're in the will......

Feng Mao

Hi,

Thank you for posting!

I have tried to visit https://www.microsoft.com/mcp, which is a secure web
site and Send the page from File -> Send -> Page by Email... The page can
be embeded into the mail of Outlook 2003.

I wonder which web page you want your users to send, could you please post
the link if possbile? Is there any error message or what the sympton is
when it failed.

For the registry key abou "Level1Remove", as I know, it is used by Outlook
2000 or higher version to prevent some unsafe attachment. For the detailed
information, please visit the article below in Microsoft knowledge base:

829982 Cannot open attachments in Microsoft Outlook
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829982

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (faels)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| Subject: Send Mail: The current document type can not be sent as mail.
Would you like to send a shortcut instead?
| Date: 9 Aug 2004 10:44:37 -0700

| I am having trouble sending only >SECURE< web items via the "File |
| Send | Page by Email" feature in IE 6 SP1. I have tried it on several
| platforms, so it is not tied to any one operating system. I am able
| to send >NON-SECURE< pages using this feature without a hitch.
|
| Outlook 2003 is my default mail application under "Tools | Internet
| Options | Programs | E-mail" in IE. I have added the "Level1Remove"
| value to the HKCU area of the registry with "URL;INK" as data, in
| hopes of bypassing the Outlook security settings. I have also done
| the same on our Exchange Server in the "Outlook Security Settings"
| public folder.
|
| It is still blocking these actions, and claiming that my .url
| attachment is potentially unsafe.
|
| It seems like the "Level1Remove" value is not being parsed, but I may
| be wrong. What can I do to allow my users to send >SECURE< pages via
| email?
|
| If you can help me, you're in the will......

faels

Feng,

Here is one of the pages that I am trying to send via email:

https://www.elsonline.net/login.aspx

I appreciate your help in this matter.

David

Hi,

Thank you for posting!

I have tried to visit https://www.microsoft.com/mcp, which is a secure web
site and Send the page from File -> Send -> Page by Email... The page can
be embeded into the mail of Outlook 2003.

I wonder which web page you want your users to send, could you please post
the link if possbile? Is there any error message or what the sympton is
when it failed.

For the registry key abou "Level1Remove", as I know, it is used by Outlook
2000 or higher version to prevent some unsafe attachment. For the detailed
information, please visit the article below in Microsoft knowledge base:

829982 Cannot open attachments in Microsoft Outlook
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829982

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (faels)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| Subject: Send Mail: The current document type can not be sent as mail.
Would you like to send a shortcut instead?
| Date: 9 Aug 2004 10:44:37 -0700

| I am having trouble sending only >SECURE< web items via the "File |
| Send | Page by Email" feature in IE 6 SP1. I have tried it on several
| platforms, so it is not tied to any one operating system. I am able
| to send >NON-SECURE< pages using this feature without a hitch.
|
| Outlook 2003 is my default mail application under "Tools | Internet
| Options | Programs | E-mail" in IE. I have added the "Level1Remove"
| value to the HKCU area of the registry with "URL;INK" as data, in
| hopes of bypassing the Outlook security settings. I have also done
| the same on our Exchange Server in the "Outlook Security Settings"
| public folder.
|
| It is still blocking these actions, and claiming that my .url
| attachment is potentially unsafe.
|
| It seems like the "Level1Remove" value is not being parsed, but I may
| be wrong. What can I do to allow my users to send >SECURE< pages via
| email?
|
| If you can help me, you're in the will......

Feng Mao

Hi David,

I got the below message when I try to File -> Send -> Page by Email,

The current document type can not be sent as mail. Would you like to send a
Shortcut instead?

If I press Yes, the same message box will appear again. If I press Yes
again, it will open Write Message box, but the .URL attachment is blocked.

I wonder if the above sympton is what you have experienced.

The above sympton happened to the clean installed environment, I suspect
that it is an issue of Internet Explorer itself, I found an article which
might be related to this issue.

837251 Internet Explorer does not correctly decompress data that uses the
GZIP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837251

However, I have applied the hotfix mentioned in this article, and updated
the URLMON.DLL from 6.0.2800.1400 to 6.0.2800.1408. Your issue still cannot
be solved.

I reviewed your first message, it seems that you can accept the workaround
to send the page as a shortcut instead. It is the reason why you add
Level1Remove registry key.

According to my research, after adding Level1Remove registry, the Outlook
does not block the .URL attachment any more. So I suspect that you did not
set the registry key to the correct location.

As you are using Microsoft Outlook 2003, the registry value Level1Remove
should be under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security

For Outlook 2002, it should be under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security

I hope that I have explained clearly.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (faels)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| Subject: Re: Send Mail: The current document type can not be sent as
mail. Would you like to send a shortcut instead?
| Date: 10 Aug 2004 05:19:08 -0700
|
| Feng,
|
| Here is one of the pages that I am trying to send via email:
|
| https://www.elsonline.net/login.aspx
|
| I appreciate your help in this matter.
|

| David
|

| (e-mail address removed) (Feng Mao) wrote in message
| > Hi,
| >
| > Thank you for posting!
| >
| > I have tried to visit https://www.microsoft.com/mcp, which is a secure
web
| > site and Send the page from File -> Send -> Page by Email... The page
can
| > be embeded into the mail of Outlook 2003.
| >
| > I wonder which web page you want your users to send, could you please
post
| > the link if possbile? Is there any error message or what the sympton is
| > when it failed.
| >
| > For the registry key abou "Level1Remove", as I know, it is used by
Outlook
| > 2000 or higher version to prevent some unsafe attachment. For the
detailed
| > information, please visit the article below in Microsoft knowledge base:
| >
| > 829982 Cannot open attachments in Microsoft Outlook
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829982
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (faels)
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| > | Subject: Send Mail: The current document type can not be sent as
mail.
| > Would you like to send a shortcut instead?
| > | Date: 9 Aug 2004 10:44:37 -0700

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!tiscali!newsfeed1.ip.tiscali.net!proxad.net!postn
| > ews2.google.com!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | I am having trouble sending only >SECURE< web items via the "File |
| > | Send | Page by Email" feature in IE 6 SP1. I have tried it on several
| > | platforms, so it is not tied to any one operating system. I am able
| > | to send >NON-SECURE< pages using this feature without a hitch.
| > |
| > | Outlook 2003 is my default mail application under "Tools | Internet
| > | Options | Programs | E-mail" in IE. I have added the "Level1Remove"
| > | value to the HKCU area of the registry with "URL;INK" as data, in
| > | hopes of bypassing the Outlook security settings. I have also done
| > | the same on our Exchange Server in the "Outlook Security Settings"
| > | public folder.
| > |
| > | It is still blocking these actions, and claiming that my .url
| > | attachment is potentially unsafe.
| > |
| > | It seems like the "Level1Remove" value is not being parsed, but I may
| > | be wrong. What can I do to allow my users to send >SECURE< pages via
| > | email?
| > |
| > | If you can help me, you're in the will......
| > |

faels

I gues I am just out of luck. I have verified the existence and
validity of the registry setting to which you referred, and have
continued to experience the problem. If MS hasn't identified the
problem yet, mayeb they will in the near future. I'll check out the
hotfix outlined in the KB article you sent me and see what happens.

Thanks for your help, and let me know if you come up with anything
else.

PA Bear

That is typical behaviour when you try to send a secure (https://) page via
SendTo.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org

From: (e-mail address removed) (faels)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
Subject: Send Mail: The current document type can not be sent as
Date: 9 Aug 2004 10:44:37 -0700

[...]

The registry key about Level1Remove is not used to fix the problem of the
dialog box "The current document type can not be sent as mail. Would you
like to send a shortcut instead?" The registry key is used to let Outlook
2003 to allow the attachment with .URL extension.

By the way, I found the version of the URLMON.DLL in Windows XP with
Service Pack 2 is 6.0.2900.2096. You may install Windows XP with Service
Pack 2 to update this file. However, I still can reproduce this issue in
Service Pack 2.

I will report this issue to our developer team and hope they will aware
this issue. However, I cannot gurantee if it will be solved in the next
release.

Thank you and have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (faels)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
| Subject: Re: Send Mail: The current document type can not be sent as
mail. Would you like to send a shortcut instead?
| Date: 11 Aug 2004 06:51:13 -0700
|
| I gues I am just out of luck. I have verified the existence and
| validity of the registry setting to which you referred, and have
| continued to experience the problem. If MS hasn't identified the
| problem yet, mayeb they will in the near future. I'll check out the
| hotfix outlined in the KB article you sent me and see what happens.
|
| Thanks for your help, and let me know if you come up with anything
| else.

Robert Aldwinckle

faels said:
Feng,

Here is one of the pages that I am trying to send via email:

https://www.elsonline.net/login.aspx

I appreciate your help in this matter.

If you really must have the whole thing to send this works:
- do File, Save As..., Web Archive...
- set Work Offline
- open the new .mht file
- do File, Send, Page by E-mail
- OE gets full page as an attachment.

Otherwise, since much of the writing is created by graphic images,
an effective thing to do is:
- press Alt-PrintScrn
- start mspaint
- press Ctrl-v
- do File, Save As..., type JPEG
- switch to OE and add that file as an attachment

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---