Seeking a PDF Creator That Will Not Allow Copying

News Reader

I have CutePDF installed and it works fine, but the contents of the
file can be copied. Is there a way to get it to create the PDF
document (in Excel in this case) but not allow copying or editing? Or
is there another freeware program that will?

Thanks for any help.

klagol

News said:
I have CutePDF installed and it works fine, but the contents of the
file can be copied. Is there a way to get it to create the PDF
document (in Excel in this case) but not allow copying or editing? Or
is there another freeware program that will?

Thanks for any help.

You are trying to set security options of an pdf file.

With PDF Toolkit you can edit security options of existing pdf files
http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

With PDFcreator you can replace CutePDF and create pdf files with
special security options
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator

Bye,
klagol

Nuanced

News Reader said:
I have CutePDF installed and it works fine, but the contents of the
file can be copied. Is there a way to get it to create the PDF
document (in Excel in this case) but not allow copying or editing? Or
is there another freeware program that will?

Thanks for any help.

PaperPort (commercial) will let you copy any of them (print to a virtual
PaperPort print driver PDF - preserves formatting --- or use its built-on
OCR

News Reader

Thanks for the info. What are the AFPLGhostscript and GNUGhostscript
files for? Do I only need to download Patch02-PDFCreator?

Following up, I successfully loaded PDFCreator AFPL... and the patch.
When I select Print in Excel, the PDFCreator shows up as a printer, I
select it, but I do not get a 'file save as' box. How do I get this
to work? I tried finding this in their forum, but it wasn't much
help.

Thanks very much.

klagol

News said:
(e-mail address removed) (News Reader) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
Following up, I successfully loaded PDFCreator AFPL... and the patch.
When I select Print in Excel, the PDFCreator shows up as a printer, I
select it, but I do not get a 'file save as' box. How do I get this
to work? I tried finding this in their forum, but it wasn't much
help.

Thanks very much.

Sorry for the late answer, I had no internet access for a couple of days :-(

Have a look at the start menu. PDFCreator adds an shortcut for printing
monitor. In the "Printer" menu of this window you can enter the
properties/options dialog (I only have the german version, so I can't
exactly tell you the name of the entry).

Bye,
klagol

News Reader

klagol said:
Sorry for the late answer, I had no internet access for a couple of days :-(

Have a look at the start menu. PDFCreator adds an shortcut for printing
monitor. In the "Printer" menu of this window you can enter the
properties/options dialog (I only have the german version, so I can't
exactly tell you the name of the entry).

Bye,
klagol

Klagol,

I just reloaded PDFCreator and opened the Print Monitor shortcut. The
Printer/Options screen has seven items under Program: General
Settings, Ghostscript, Document, Save, Auto-save, Directories, and
Fonts. There is nothing intuitive about where to modify anything to
get the 'file save as' box to appear. Perhaps you could tell me which
line it is, and what you've put in the selection boxes.

If you send me a note (remove the news) I can send you screen prints
of the boxes I think might be the ones to modify.

Thanks for your help.

klagol

News said:
I just reloaded PDFCreator and opened the Print Monitor shortcut. The
Printer/Options screen has seven items under Program: General
Settings, Ghostscript, Document, Save, Auto-save, Directories, and
Fonts. There is nothing intuitive about where to modify anything to
get the 'file save as' box to appear. Perhaps you could tell me which
line it is, and what you've put in the selection boxes.
[...]

Seems I didn't read your question correctly, thus I didn't answer your
question exactly ... sorry for that.

Select the auto-save item and disable "Use auto-save". If you print
something after that, a properties dialog will be opened and by clicking
the "Save" button you get asked for the filename ('file save as' box :)

Bye,
klagol

News Reader

klagol said:
News said:
I just reloaded PDFCreator and opened the Print Monitor shortcut. The
Printer/Options screen has seven items under Program: General
Settings, Ghostscript, Document, Save, Auto-save, Directories, and
Fonts. There is nothing intuitive about where to modify anything to
get the 'file save as' box to appear. Perhaps you could tell me which
line it is, and what you've put in the selection boxes.
[...]

Seems I didn't read your question correctly, thus I didn't answer your
question exactly ... sorry for that.

Select the auto-save item and disable "Use auto-save". If you print
something after that, a properties dialog will be opened and by clicking
the "Save" button you get asked for the filename ('file save as' box :)

Bye,
klagol

Thanks for the tips. I now get the 'save as' box. But I can't find
any security options, which was the point of my initial note. I want
to save the file as a PDF file whose contents can't be edited or
copied and you said PDFCreator would do this. Where do I select these
options?

klagol

News said:
Thanks for the tips. I now get the 'save as' box. But I can't find
any security options, which was the point of my initial note. I want
to save the file as a PDF file whose contents can't be edited or
copied and you said PDFCreator would do this. Where do I select these
options?

Maybe you just play with the options in the printing monitor already
mentioned above ...

Formats -> PDF -> Security (on the right hand)