SDK for WM5.0: Problem with GPS-Sample

Wolfgang Schwarz

Hi,

for use in my own application, I'am testing the GPS-Sample of the WM5.0 SDK
(..\Samples\Cs\Gps).
It runs fine, but only for 10 minutes.
Then no data from the Device (PDA Mio A 701) are received.
Nothing could be done with the internal GPS-device before the hardware is
reseted.
No error message appeared, other parts of the applications are still
working/runing.
Other GPS-Software (e.c. TomTom, or VisualGPS) runs without problems.

I'am thinging there must be a problem with new 'GPS Intermediate Driver' of
WM5
(see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...-us/mobilesdk5/html/wce51lrfgpsopendevice.asp)

Does anyone know about problems with the Gps-Sample or the 'GPS Intermediate
Driver' and can give me a workaround to solve the problem. (Or, better: A
sample in VB !!)

Thank you for all response

Wolfgang Schwarz
34560 Fritzlar/Germany

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

We can try to eliminate the intermediate driver. Run some other GPS-using
software on the same device and use the virtual COM port software. Does
that still have a problem or not? If so, yes, the intermediate driver is
indicated and you'll have to contact the device OEM for a possible fix. If
not, I'd say that your .NET CF code is the problem and that you're probably
mismanaging some resources. At that point, we'd have to see some minimal
code that you believe duplicates the problem. That would allow someone else
to try it on other devices, too.

Paul T.

Wolfgang Schwarz

Paul,

thank you for response, but I'am confused about it
Run some other GPS-using software on the same device and use the virtual
COM port software.

I have done it !
Does that still have a problem or not?
No
I> If not, I'd say that your .NET CF code is the problem and that you're
probably mismanaging some resources.

I have used the *original* code of the GPS-Sample, without any changes !
At that point, we'd have to see some minimal code that you believe
duplicates the problem. That would allow someone else
to try it on other devices, too.

Should I send it as ZIP file ?
It is original the same as in the WM5 SDK !

regards
Wolfgang

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Good! Since you've verified that the problem is localized to your (the
sample), code (you *did* tell the other GPS software to use the intermediate
driver, correct?), that's where the problem is. Something is wrong in that
code (samples have bugs, too). I'll take a look at the sample, but that
appears to be the source of the error, so you should start reading it.

Paul T.

Trapulo

There is a bug on the sdk sample. Look for a my thread some months ago...

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

Wolfgang Schwarz

Trapulo said:
There is a bug on the sdk sample. Look for a my thread some months ago...

I'am searching for your thread, but I don't find it.
Please can you give me more details to find it or a link.
Is a workarund included ?

regards
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Schwarz

To my big surprise Peter Foot published an Message "Fixing the Windows
Mobile 5.0 GPS Sample Code"
(http://www.peterfoot.net/FixingTheWindowsMobile50GPSSampleCode.aspx).

But the code changes he wrote doesn't solve my problems (I send him a mail
to tell this):

Peter,

I'am surprised about your artikel 'Fixing the Windows Mobile 5.0 GPS
Sample Code' from Friday, 11.Aug.
Just the day I have recevied your Mail.

But I'am sad to tell you, that the code-changes you wrote, don't solve my
problems of hanging GPS-Sample.
I'dont believe that the divide-by-zero is the reason of my problems. And
the changed value of Latitude/Logitude is only optical.
I also have checked the port/baud-rate, but this brings no effect.
PDA: Mio A 701 (GPS-reciever included)
physikally-Port: COM2
logical-Port: COM4
Baud 4800
Stopbit 1

All other like default of then GPS Intermediate Driver.

Plaese, have you any other idea, what the problem could be.
I'am searching for this since one week

</MailtoPeterFoot>

Is there anyone who can help me, and has any idea why the GPS-Sample hangs.
My working-project is stopped at this point.

Thank you for response

regards
Wolfgang Schwarz
34582 Borken / Germany