Scripting a remote assistance request

David

Hi all,

We are using Remote Assistance in our environment and all
requests come in via email to an account "helpdesk".
There are a few steps for our users to go through to
invite our helpdesk to help them, and I was wondering if
there was a way to script the remote assistance request.
All requests go to the same email address, no password, 1
hour time out. Ideally we could put an icon on the users
desktop that when they double-click, (with perhalps a
confirmation), the request is generated with pre-set
variables, and emailed automatically.

I found a jscript on msdn to automate an offer of remote
assistance, but we have not enabled this feature on the
pc's in the field.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
David

Laura Zhang

Dear David,

Thank you for your post.

My name is Laura and it is my pleasure to work with you on this post. I
understand that you would like to write some scripts or executables to
automate the process of asking for Remote Assistance by email.

I have searched MSDN and our Knowledge Base articles; unfortunately, I did
not find any objects that can be used to create a Remote Assistance Ticket.
As Remote Assistance Ticket is necessary, I am afraid that we will be
unable to create a script to ask for remote assistance. In MSDN, I only
found a technical article that describes how to offer Remote Assistance.
This may be the same sample Jscript that you found. This script enable you
offer Remote Assistance by the computer name:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpchealth/
html/remoteassistanceapi.asp

However, there may be some APIs that can generate Remote Assistance Ticket.
I suggest that you post this question in the
microsoft.public.vsstudio.general newsgroup. The
microsoft.public.vsstudio.general newsgroup is primarily for issues
involving development by Visual Studio. The reason why we recommend posting
appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and
other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their
knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

As a work around, you can create a script to send an email which includes
the computer name of the customer to the HelpDesk when they request Remote
Assistance. According to the computer name, you can use the Offer Remote
Assistance function to perform Remote Assistance.

If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, please feel
free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Laura Zhang
MCSE, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Support
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Delighting our customers is our #1 priority.

| From: "David" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "David" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Scripting a remote assistance request
| Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:12:39 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
|
| Hi all,
|
| We are using Remote Assistance in our environment and all
| requests come in via email to an account "helpdesk".
| There are a few steps for our users to go through to
| invite our helpdesk to help them, and I was wondering if
| there was a way to script the remote assistance request.
| All requests go to the same email address, no password, 1
| hour time out. Ideally we could put an icon on the users
| desktop that when they double-click, (with perhalps a
| confirmation), the request is generated with pre-set
| variables, and emailed automatically.
|
| I found a jscript on msdn to automate an offer of remote
| assistance, but we have not enabled this feature on the
| pc's in the field.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.
| David

Sooner Al

If your in the "same domain, or are members of trusting domains" environment, you can use the
"Offer" feature you allude to.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306496
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308013
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310629

Another alternative may be to use the file method and setup shortcuts on your desktop for Novice RA
requests. Then a Novice can call on the phone and the help desk Expert can simply click on the
desktop icon and initiate the RA session. The Novice still has to acknowledge and allow control.

http://www.oecadvantage.net/ajarvi/RemoteAssistance.html

This works well in a small scale environment on a LAN. I presume it would also work through a VPN
tunnel. If you have a large number of users to support, it may not be feasible however.

Sooner Al

99 days is the max expiration time that XP allows for a RA ticket. I believe that is a security
precaution... For a large user base, obviously setting up a new ticket every so often would simply
be unworkable...

Laura Zhang

Dear David,

Thank you for your update.

I understand that the expert computer joins a domain and the novice
computers belong to a work group. When you tried to offer Remote Assistance
you received the error message saying that "Permission denied".

Unfortunately, the "Offer Remote Assistance" feature requires the computer
of the expert user as well as the computer of the novice user to be members
of the same domain, or members of trusted domains. Domains are used in
corporate networks for security purposes, and a network administrator
usually manages them. The Offer Remote Assistance feature is not a viable
option for most home-based networks, such as work group.

To configure the computer of the novice user to accept Remote Assistance
offers, you must ensure that the following three requirements are met:

- The Group Policy on the computer of the novice user must be configured to
enable Remote Assistance offers.

- The computers of the novice and expert users must be members of the same
domain, or members of trusted domains.

- Both computers must have Windows XP installed (or a newer operating
system).

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge
Base article:

301527 HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=301527

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let us
know. I am glad to be of assistance.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,

Laura Zhang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "David Priebe" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "David Priebe" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Scripting a remote assistance request
| Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:21:51 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
|
| Thank you for your reply, I will post the original message
| to the group you suggested.
|
| In the meantime I have also tried to "offer remote
| assistance" with no success.
| My setup is that the expert is using XP Pro conneced to a
| domain. The novice is using XP Pro NOT connected to a
| domain. In group policy on the novice's pc I set the
| option for offer RA, and added various users as being
| authorized to offer RA. (domain\Administrator,
| domain\user and just Administrator). In my tests I was
| the expert logged in to the domain as Administrator.
| Still I got "Permission denied" when I tried to offer RA.
|
| Should this work ie: XP in domain offer RA to XP in
| workgroup?
|
| What should be entered in GP on XP Workgroup?
| domain\username or simply username?
|
| Do I need to enable offer RA on the XP in the domain even
| if they will offer, but not receive offers from anyone?
|
| The next setup is everyone in a domain. I have Group
| Policies coming down from a 2000 server, and have followed
| 307900 and (I thought) added xp policies to my 2000
| domain, but I still cannot see nor set RA policies in AD.
| I'm using XP Pro running gpedit and connecting to a
| container in AD. Any suggestions?
| Thanks again,
| David

| >|
| >| Hi all,
| >|
| >| We are using Remote Assistance in our environment and
| all
| >| requests come in via email to an account "helpdesk".
| >| There are a few steps for our users to go through to
| >| invite our helpdesk to help them, and I was wondering
| if
| >| there was a way to script the remote assistance
| request.
| >| All requests go to the same email address, no password,
| 1
| >| hour time out. Ideally we could put an icon on the
| users
| >| desktop that when they double-click, (with perhalps a
| >| confirmation), the request is generated with pre-set
| >| variables, and emailed automatically.
| >|
| >| I found a jscript on msdn to automate an offer of
| remote
| >| assistance, but we have not enabled this feature on the
| >| pc's in the field.
| >|
| >| Any help would be greatly appreciated.
| >| David