Scrabble Complete network failure

Bob

Hi all,
I have a peer to peer TCP/IP network of five Windows XP Professional PCs
using a Lynksys four port router and a Lynksys four port hub (three PCs are
directly off the router and two PCs are off the router via the hub). I
purchased two copies of Infogames Scrabble Complete and installed it on one
PC directly off the router and the other copy on a PC connected to the
router via the hub. When trying to launch a local network game I can see the
host game title but get an "error starting the session" message when I try
to join it. I have checked the IP address of all of the PCs using IPCONFIG
and they are all 192.168.1.1xx as expected, The game, however, reports the
PCs on the hub as having a 141.158.xx.xx address. I've tried to release and
renew the IP address but get the same results. If I install the game on any
two PCs directly off the router it works fine. Also, if I install the game
on the two PCs connected to the hub, it works fine. It's only when I attempt
to play on one PC off the router and one PC off the hub that it fails. Other
games that can be played over a local network (Unreal Tournament as an
example) work fine regardless of how they are attached to the network. Any
insight will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Bob

Hi Jimmy S.,
Thanks for helping me. I have tried the last part of your suggestion by
entering the 141.158.xx.xx address for an "Internet" game, but that fails
also. I will try disconnecting from the DSL modem, thus isolating all
machines to my local LAN. I'll let you know the results.
Thanks,
Bob

Jimmy S.

Hi Bob,

Glad to offer my suggestions, and hope they work. Try
the internal IP number of the host (168.192.x.x) instead
of the public IP (141.158.x.x), that too could work. :)

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

> [...]
| IPCONFIG
| > | and they are all 192.168.1.1xx as expected, The game, however, reports
| the
| > | PCs on the hub as having a 141.158.xx.xx address. I've tried to release
| and
| > | renew the IP address but get the same results. If I install the game on
| any
| > | two PCs directly off the router it works fine. Also, if I install the
| game
| > | on the two PCs connected to the hub, it works fine. It's only when I
| attempt
| > | to play on one PC off the router and one PC off the hub that it fails.
| Other
| > | games that can be played over a local network (Unreal Tournament as an
| > | example) work fine regardless of how they are attached to the network.
| > |
| > |

Bob

Hi Jimmy S.,
Good call on your part! I followed your suggestion and isolated my LAN and
the Scrabble game works as advertised on all PCs reqardless of their
location on the router/hub. My family members can now sit at their own PCs
and enjoy. Thanks for your help!
Bob
Jimmy S. said:
> [...]

| IPCONFIG
| > | and they are all 192.168.1.1xx as expected, The game, however, reports
| the
| > | PCs on the hub as having a 141.158.xx.xx address. I've tried to release
| and
| > | renew the IP address but get the same results. If I install the game on
| any
| > | two PCs directly off the router it works fine. Also, if I install the
| game
| > | on the two PCs connected to the hub, it works fine. It's only when I
| attempt
| > | to play on one PC off the router and one PC off the hub that it fails.
| Other
| > | games that can be played over a local network (Unreal Tournament as an
| > | example) work fine regardless of how they are attached to the network.
| > |
| > |

Jimmy S.

Great news Bob - Thanks for sharing! :)

Cheers!
Jimmy.

| Hi Jimmy S.,
| Good call on your part! I followed your suggestion and isolated my LAN and
| the Scrabble game works as advertised on all PCs reqardless of their
| location on the router/hub. My family members can now sit at their own PCs
| and enjoy. Thanks for your help!
| Bob
| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Bob,
| >
| > Glad to offer my suggestions, and hope they work. Try
| > the internal IP number of the host (168.192.x.x) instead
| > of the public IP (141.158.x.x), that too could work. :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers,
| > Jimmy S.
| >
| > Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite:
| http://nibblesnbits.tk
| > Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
| > Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | Thanks for helping me. I have tried the last part of your suggestion by
| > | entering the 141.158.xx.xx address for an "Internet" game, but that
| fails
| > | also. I will try disconnecting from the DSL modem, thus isolating all
| > | machines to my local LAN. I'll let you know the results.
| > | Thanks,
| > | Bob

| > | http://nibblesnbits.tk
| http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376