Schedule Task

I have windows Vista and I would like to have access to the Scheduled
Task on remote computer (Windows XP).
With windows XP when I browse the network and go on remote computer I
can see the Scheduled Task but with Vista that desappeared, it is normal?

(I have the administrators privileges)

I (Vista) tried also to connect to another computer (Vista) in the
Scheduler task, it works fine but when I (Vista) tried to connect to a
Windows XP computer in the Scheduler task, a Task scheduler pop up says that
I don't have permission to access this computer.

Any advices??

Thx in advance

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I have performed test and this is an expected behavior.
Have you tried disabling UAC and trying again?

Is your Windows XP machine in a workgroup? If so there are additional steps
you need to take in-order to connect.

This article will help you achieve this:
290403: How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed in
a Workgroup
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290403

For more related information, please refer to the following Windows Vista
article:
Manage or Create a Task on a Remote Computer
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/8045c724-b7ca-411c-afa
d-be9a3ee812ce1033.mspx?mfr=true

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?dG90b21hc3Rlcg==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Schedule Task
| Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:50:12 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|
| Hi,
| I have windows Vista and I would like to have access to the Scheduled
| Task on remote computer (Windows XP).
| With windows XP when I browse the network and go on remote computer I
| can see the Scheduled Task but with Vista that desappeared, it is normal?
|
| (I have the administrators privileges)
|
| I (Vista) tried also to connect to another computer (Vista) in the
| Scheduler task, it works fine but when I (Vista) tried to connect to a
| Windows XP computer in the Scheduler task, a Task scheduler pop up says
that
| I don't have permission to access this computer.
|

| Any advices??
|
| Thx in advance

Thx for the reply

Yeah the UAC is disable.

And all computers are in the same domain.

I will simplify my question... Is there a mean to administrate the scheduled
task on windows Xp from a windows Vista? Because the tasks schedulers are not
the same in the two version.

Thx in advance

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I have performed test and this is an expected behavior.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I have performed test and this is an expected behavior.
Have you tried disabling UAC and trying again?

Is your Windows XP machine in a workgroup? If so there are additional steps
you need to take in-order to connect.

This article will help you achieve this:
290403: How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed in
a Workgroup
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290403

For more related information, please refer to the following Windows Vista
article:
Manage or Create a Task on a Remote Computer
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/8045c724-b7ca-411c-afa
d-be9a3ee812ce1033.mspx?mfr=true

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?dG90b21hc3Rlcg==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Schedule Task
| Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:50:12 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|
| Hi,
| I have windows Vista and I would like to have access to the Scheduled
| Task on remote computer (Windows XP).
| With windows XP when I browse the network and go on remote computer I
| can see the Scheduled Task but with Vista that desappeared, it is normal?
|
| (I have the administrators privileges)
|
| I (Vista) tried also to connect to another computer (Vista) in the
| Scheduler task, it works fine but when I (Vista) tried to connect to a
| Windows XP computer in the Scheduler task, a Task scheduler pop up says
that
| I don't have permission to access this computer.
|

| Any advices??
|
| Thx in advance

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

As the article mentions, if you are connecting to a remote Windows XP or
Windows Server 2003 computer from a Windows Vista computer, you need to
allow the File and Printer Sharing firewall exception on the remote
computer. To allow this exception click Start, Control Panel, double-click
Windows Firewall, select the Exceptions tab, and then select the File and
Printer Sharing firewall exception. Then click the Ok button in the Windows
Firewall dialog box.

> [...]

| > |
| > | Hi,
| > | I have windows Vista and I would like to have access to the
Scheduled
| > | Task on remote computer (Windows XP).
| > | With windows XP when I browse the network and go on remote
computer I
| > | can see the Scheduled Task but with Vista that desappeared, it is
normal?
| > |
| > | (I have the administrators privileges)
| > |
| > | I (Vista) tried also to connect to another computer (Vista) in
the
| > | Scheduler task, it works fine but when I (Vista) tried to connect to
| > | Windows XP computer in the Scheduler task, a Task scheduler pop up
says
| > that
| > | I don't have permission to access this computer.
| > |
| > | Thx in advance
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Thx for the reply

Yeah but All the windows firewalls on Windows XP are off. It's easier to
administrate for us.

With the tool "Computer Management" we don't have problem to connect to
another computer (always from Vista to XP). So when we are connected on a
remote windows XP, we go to the Task Scheduler in computer management ... we
have the same Task scheduler pop up that we don't have permission to access
this computer.

Is it possible that the Task Schecduler of Vista is not compatible with the
Task Scheduler of windows XP?

Thx in advance

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > |
| > | Hi,
| > | I have windows Vista and I would like to have access to the
Scheduled
| > | Task on remote computer (Windows XP).
| > | With windows XP when I browse the network and go on remote
computer I
| > | can see the Scheduled Task but with Vista that desappeared, it is
normal?
| > |
| > | (I have the administrators privileges)
| > |
| > | I (Vista) tried also to connect to another computer (Vista) in
the
| > | Scheduler task, it works fine but when I (Vista) tried to connect to
| > | Windows XP computer in the Scheduler task, a Task scheduler pop up
says
| > that
| > | I don't have permission to access this computer.
| > |
| > | Thx in advance
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > |
| > | Hi,
| > | I have windows Vista and I would like to have access to the
Scheduled
| > | Task on remote computer (Windows XP).
| > | With windows XP when I browse the network and go on remote
computer I
| > | can see the Scheduled Task but with Vista that desappeared, it is
normal?
| > |
| > | (I have the administrators privileges)
| > |
| > | I (Vista) tried also to connect to another computer (Vista) in
the
| > | Scheduler task, it works fine but when I (Vista) tried to connect to
| > | Windows XP computer in the Scheduler task, a Task scheduler pop up
says
| > that
| > | I don't have permission to access this computer.
| > |
| > | Thx in advance
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Based on my research, you may try the following steps to remotely manage
the Scheduled Tasks on Windows XP from Windows Vista:

1. Click Start and type MMC
2. Click File\Add or Remove Snap-ins and select Task Scheduler
3. Click Add button and it will open Select Computer window. Please select
Another computer option and browse the Windows XP computer you want to
connect.
4. Wait for the connection establishing.

Hope that helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?dG90b21hc3Rlcg==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Schedule Task
| Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:45:03 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|

| Thx for the reply
|
| Yeah but All the windows firewalls on Windows XP are off. It's easier to
| administrate for us.
|
| With the tool "Computer Management" we don't have problem to connect to
| another computer (always from Vista to XP). So when we are connected on a
| remote windows XP, we go to the Task Scheduler in computer management ...
we
| have the same Task scheduler pop up that we don't have permission to
access
| this computer.
|
| Is it possible that the Task Schecduler of Vista is not compatible with
the
| Task Scheduler of windows XP?
|
| Thx in advance
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > As the article mentions, if you are connecting to a remote Windows XP
or
| > Windows Server 2003 computer from a Windows Vista computer, you need to
| > allow the File and Printer Sharing firewall exception on the remote
| > computer. To allow this exception click Start, Control Panel,
double-click
| > Windows Firewall, select the Exceptions tab, and then select the File
and
| > Printer Sharing firewall exception. Then click the Ok button in the
Windows
| > Firewall dialog box.
| >
| > For more related information, please refer to the following Windows
Vista
| > article:
| > Manage or Create a Task on a Remote Computer

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/8045c724-b7ca-411c-afa
| > d-be9a3ee812ce1033.mspx?mfr=true
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?dG90b21hc3Rlcg==?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Schedule Task
| > | Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 07:20:10 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
| > |
| > | Thx for the reply
| > |
| > | Yeah the UAC is disable.
| > |
| > | And all computers are in the same domain.
| > |
| > | I will simplify my question... Is there a mean to administrate the
| > scheduled
| > | task on windows Xp from a windows Vista? Because the tasks schedulers
are
| > not
| > | the same in the two version.
| > |
| > | Thx in advance
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > steps

| > Installed in

| > Vista

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/8045c724-b7ca-411c-afa

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > Scheduled
| > computer I
| > normal?
| > | > |
| > | > |
in
| > the
| > says
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Thx Ken one time again for the reply.

It does not work... So is it possible that was a incompatibility like the
VDS(virtual disk service) ?

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > Windows Firewall, select the Exceptions tab, and then select the File
and
| > Printer Sharing firewall exception. Then click the Ok button in the
Windows
| > Firewall dialog box.
| >
| > For more related information, please refer to the following Windows
Vista
| > article:
| > Manage or Create a Task on a Remote Computer

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/8045c724-b7ca-411c-afa
| > d-be9a3ee812ce1033.mspx?mfr=true
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | Yeah the UAC is disable.
| > |
| > | And all computers are in the same domain.
| > |
| > | I will simplify my question... Is there a mean to administrate the
| > scheduled
| > | task on windows Xp from a windows Vista? Because the tasks schedulers
are
| > not
| > | the same in the two version.
| > |
| > | Thx in advance
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > steps

| > Installed in

| > Vista

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/8045c724-b7ca-411c-afa

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > Scheduled
| > computer I
| > normal?
| > | > |
| > | > |
in
| > the
| > says
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > Windows Firewall, select the Exceptions tab, and then select the File
and
| > Printer Sharing firewall exception. Then click the Ok button in the
Windows
| > Firewall dialog box.
| >
| > For more related information, please refer to the following Windows
Vista
| > article:
| > Manage or Create a Task on a Remote Computer

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/8045c724-b7ca-411c-afa
| > d-be9a3ee812ce1033.mspx?mfr=true
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | Yeah the UAC is disable.
| > |
| > | And all computers are in the same domain.
| > |
| > | I will simplify my question... Is there a mean to administrate the
| > scheduled
| > | task on windows Xp from a windows Vista? Because the tasks schedulers
are
| > not
| > | the same in the two version.
| > |
| > | Thx in advance
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > steps

| > Installed in

| > Vista

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/8045c724-b7ca-411c-afa

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > Scheduled
| > computer I
| > normal?
| > | > |
| > | > |
in
| > the
| > says
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Personally I think this is possible.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?dG90b21hc3Rlcg==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Schedule Task
| Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 05:44:00 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|
| Thx Ken one time again for the reply.
|
| It does not work... So is it possible that was a incompatibility like the
| VDS(virtual disk service) ?
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > Based on my research, you may try the following steps to remotely
manage
| > the Scheduled Tasks on Windows XP from Windows Vista:
| >
| > 1. Click Start and type MMC
| > 2. Click File\Add or Remove Snap-ins and select Task Scheduler
| > 3. Click Add button and it will open Select Computer window. Please
select
| > Another computer option and browse the Windows XP computer you want to
| > connect.
| > 4. Wait for the connection establishing.
| >
| > Hope that helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?dG90b21hc3Rlcg==?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Schedule Task
| > | Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:45:03 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
| > | administrate for us.
| > |
| > | With the tool "Computer Management" we don't have problem to connect
| > | another computer (always from Vista to XP). So when we are connected
on a
| > | remote windows XP, we go to the Task Scheduler in computer management
| > we
| > | have the same Task scheduler pop up that we don't have permission to
| > access
| > | this computer.
| > |
| > | Is it possible that the Task Schecduler of Vista is not compatible
with
| > the
| > | Task Scheduler of windows XP?
| > |
| > | Thx in advance
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

XP
| > or
| > double-click
File
| > and
| > Windows

| > Vista

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/8045c724-b7ca-411c-afa

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > are
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > behavior.

| > additional

Windows

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/8045c724-b7ca-411c-afa

| > newsreader

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > in
| > up
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |

| > |

This has been dead for a while, hopefully someone is still watching,
or has figured out how to fix this.

I am having this exact same issue in a Windows Server 2003 domain.

I am using a machine with Vista Buisness Edition.

If I right click Computer and select Manage, the computer manager
opens.

I then select "Connect to another computer"

I enter the name of any one of our 60 or so Windows XP machines (ALL
WITH WINDOWS FIREWALL DISABLED).

The Computer Manager connects no problem to any of the machines. I
can view Event Logs, edit user permissions, ect.

When I try to use the task scheduler, I recieve the error "You do not
have permission to access this computer."

If I try to connect to one of our servers (running Windows Server 2003
SP2) I can view the task scheduler without a problem.

I have also tried going through just the Task Scheduler (Control Panel
-> Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler) to connect to a Windows XP
machine with the same results.

How can I manage Scheduled Tasks on a Windows XP machine directly from
a Vista machine?

I am having the exact same problem as (e-mail address removed).

Our IT department here as upgraded a few of our machines to Vista to get
comforatable with the OS. But one of the major problems we are having is
that we cannot remotely manage Scheduled Tasks on XP machines anymore.

If you browse to the computer share, you see a share for printers, but don't
ge the scheduled tasks share anymore.

If you try to do it from Task Scheduler in Vista, you get "You do not have
permissions to access this computer", even using a Domain Admin account. All
other administration from the Computer Management snap-in works fine.

If there is another group or support specialist that can better handle this
problem can someone please point us in the right direction?

If Vista is supposed to improve my productivity, why does something so basic
not work, and why has Microsoft not properly addressed this issue?