Scan Disk Problem

G

Hello, I am a novice computer user.

My Maxtor H/Disk crashed recently and could not be used. I replaced it with the same spec. While performing a routime scan disk, I came across following error message

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow this step

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with manufacturer for driver update. Try changing video adapters

Check with your manufacturers for any BIOS update. Disable BIOS memory option such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to disable or remove components, restart your computer. Select F8 to select Advanced Start up options, and then select safe mode

Technical info: STOP; 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XFC9E251D, 0XFC8F3C38, 0XFC8F3938

FS_REC.SYS - Address FC9E251D base at FC9E20000, DateStamp 3b7d8361

My desktop has following specs
P4 1.5 GHz, Maxtor 40GB 5400 rpm, NVIDIA TNT2 card, Windows XP V2002, 128 MB RAM

Have asked a few friends who are more familiar with the OS but to no availability. I managed to run disk defrag with no problem. I could restrart the computer and do normal chores. But if I want to do the disk scan when my PC seems slower or less responsive I would get similar error message

Hope that someone may be able to guide me solve my situation. Thanks

G

Scan Disk requires the full attention of your PC to run. Aka, Windows can not be running while you are running ScanDisk. If its not prompting you to schedule the ScanDisk operation the next time you reboot then I would suggest using Task Manager to do so

Also you can run CHKDSK from a command prompt. It is the same thing. Press F8 when your pc is starting and choose safe mode with command prompt. Then at the command prompt type

CHKDSK C:

G

Thanks for the steps given:

FYI, the scan disk was run after restarting the windows once and checking both boxes.

I ran both of you suggestions i.e. using Task Manager and in Safe Mode. In both cases ended up with not being able to complete the task:

a) Using Task Manager, I used following command: CHKDSK C:/F. This is the result.

"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
Would you like to schedule this volume to be check the next time the system restarts? (Y/N). I typed in Y.

I restarted the computer. CHKDSK started, went thru check stage 1 - 3 of 3 before coming up with same error message as posted in my ori inquiry.

b) I entered the Safe Mode with command prompt and run CHKDSK with /F switch. It went thru the same routine as in (a) and in my original post. At the end of check the very same error message came up.

I am just wondering if the FS-Rec.sys, existing driver or BIOS have anything to do with this situation since these three items were prompted in the error message.

Again thank you in advance for anyone who may be able to shed some light.

G

Can anyone pl help me here. Recently, my computer refused to boot up.
I had to reinstall the Windows XP and other programs too. When I ran Scan
Disk
or CHKDSK (or whatever its correct name), I still have same ol story. When
I tried
to defrag, it says my File System has some bug...

Ask a Question