(SBS) Mail and WWW for laptop users

news.iinet.net.au

I am running Win2KSBS with ISA and Exchange.

My domain name is company.local. Publicly my internet domain is company.com.

The router which is connected via a second NIC to the SBS server has a fixed
IP address provided by the ISP of 203.xxx.xxx.246. Internally the IP
addresses are assigned by DHCP in the range 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.100

The MX record is pointing to 203.xxx.xxx.246, the website is hosted at the
ISP.

My question relates to laptop users (mixture of Win98 through to XP) who
need to access emails and the company web page from both inside and outside
of the LAN.

Outlook is setup to obtain email from 203.xxx.xxx.246 which works fine from
outside the lan. They can also access the webpage www.company.com from both
inside and outside the LAN. But they can't get their mail from inside.

So I added a zone to DNS called company.com and a "A" Record called mail
(pointing to the server address internally) so that email works both inside
and outside. I modified Outlook to get mail from mail.company.com and mail
now works fine both from inside and outside. But now the users can't access
www.company.com from inside, although they can browse everywhere else.

I have added both the SBS server and the ISP's DNS IPs to the DHCP scope,
thinking that if the SBS DNS did not resolve the www it would go to the ISP
and resolve correctly there but this did not make any difference, unless I
have a setting wrong of course.

I have seen a solution to add a hosts file (with an entry reflecting the
internal IP of the server) to the laptop but I doubt that would wotk since
the host file get read before dns and therefore would work inside but not
outside.

Any ideas?

Regards

Eric

Alex Zhang

Hello Eric,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on my research, this problem should be related with DNS. You could
check the DNS settings:

1. Forwarder in DNS console.

2. Delegate www.company.com to the external dns server

3. Use only the SBS server as the DNS server for the internal users.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me
know. I am happy to be of assistance.
Thanks and regards,
Alex Zhang
Microsoft Partner Online Support

| From: "news.iinet.net.au" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
| Subject: (SBS) Mail and WWW for laptop users
| Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:33:00 +0800
|
| I am running Win2KSBS with ISA and Exchange.
|
| My domain name is company.local. Publicly my internet domain is
company.com.

| The router which is connected via a second NIC to the SBS server has a
fixed
| IP address provided by the ISP of 203.xxx.xxx.246. Internally the IP
| addresses are assigned by DHCP in the range 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.100
|
| The MX record is pointing to 203.xxx.xxx.246, the website is hosted at the
| ISP.
|
| My question relates to laptop users (mixture of Win98 through to XP) who
| need to access emails and the company web page from both inside and
outside
| of the LAN.
|
| Outlook is setup to obtain email from 203.xxx.xxx.246 which works fine
from
| outside the lan. They can also access the webpage www.company.com from
both
| inside and outside the LAN. But they can't get their mail from inside.
|
| So I added a zone to DNS called company.com and a "A" Record called mail
| (pointing to the server address internally) so that email works both
inside
| and outside. I modified Outlook to get mail from mail.company.com and mail
| now works fine both from inside and outside. But now the users can't
access
| www.company.com from inside, although they can browse everywhere else.
|
| I have added both the SBS server and the ISP's DNS IPs to the DHCP scope,
| thinking that if the SBS DNS did not resolve the www it would go to the
ISP
| and resolve correctly there but this did not make any difference, unless I
| have a setting wrong of course.
|
| I have seen a solution to add a hosts file (with an entry reflecting the
| internal IP of the server) to the laptop but I doubt that would wotk since
| the host file get read before dns and therefore would work inside but not
| outside.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Regards
|
| Eric

news.iinet.net.au

Hi Alex

Thanks very much for your reply and my apologies for not responding earlier.

Your points 1 and 3 were already done, but point 2 was not. I delegated
www.company.com to the ISP's DNS server and everything worked fine.

Before this I had never used/understood delegation so I have learnt
something again! Such a simple solution compared to some of the solutions I
was seeing around the web.

The only issue I had was when the user typed comany.com into IE without the
www it didn't work. But an hour or so later it all started working so I'm
assuming it just needed time to propogate.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Regards

Eric

Alex Zhang

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your reply.

I am glad to hear that you have resolved the problem.

If you have any other issues, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to
be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>
| From: "news.iinet.net.au" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
| Subject: Re: (SBS) Mail and WWW for laptop users
| Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:35:52 +0800
|
| Hi Alex
|
| Thanks very much for your reply and my apologies for not responding
earlier.

| Your points 1 and 3 were already done, but point 2 was not. I delegated
| www.company.com to the ISP's DNS server and everything worked fine.
|
| Before this I had never used/understood delegation so I have learnt
| something again! Such a simple solution compared to some of the solutions
| was seeing around the web.
|
| The only issue I had was when the user typed comany.com into IE without
the
| www it didn't work. But an hour or so later it all started working so I'm
| assuming it just needed time to propogate.
|
| Anyway, thanks again for your help.
|
| Regards
|
| Eric
|

| | > Hello Eric,
| >
| > Thank you for posting here.
| >
| > Based on my research, this problem should be related with DNS. You could
| > check the DNS settings:
| >
| > 1. Forwarder in DNS console.
| >
| > 2. Delegate www.company.com to the external dns server
| >
| > 3. Use only the SBS server as the DNS server for the internal users.
| >
| > If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me
| > know. I am happy to be of assistance.
| > Thanks and regards,
| > Alex Zhang
| > Microsoft Partner Online Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "news.iinet.net.au" <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
| > | Subject: (SBS) Mail and WWW for laptop users
| > | Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:33:00 +0800

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.s

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news-lei1.dfn.de!news-ber1.dfn.de!fu-berlin.de!ne

wsfeed.iinet.net.au!newsfeed.iinet.net.au!freenews.iinet.net.au!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | I am running Win2KSBS with ISA and Exchange.
| > |
| > | My domain name is company.local. Publicly my internet domain is
| > company.com.
| > |
| > | The router which is connected via a second NIC to the SBS server has a
| > fixed
| > | IP address provided by the ISP of 203.xxx.xxx.246. Internally the IP
| > | addresses are assigned by DHCP in the range 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.100
| > |
| > | The MX record is pointing to 203.xxx.xxx.246, the website is hosted at
| the
| > | ISP.
| > |
| > | My question relates to laptop users (mixture of Win98 through to XP)
who
| > | need to access emails and the company web page from both inside and
| > outside
| > | of the LAN.
| > |
| > | Outlook is setup to obtain email from 203.xxx.xxx.246 which works fine
| > from
| > | outside the lan. They can also access the webpage www.company.com from
| > both
| > | inside and outside the LAN. But they can't get their mail from inside.
| > |
| > | So I added a zone to DNS called company.com and a "A" Record called
mail
| > | (pointing to the server address internally) so that email works both
| > inside
| > | and outside. I modified Outlook to get mail from mail.company.com and
| mail
| > | now works fine both from inside and outside. But now the users can't
| > access
| > | www.company.com from inside, although they can browse everywhere else.
| > |
| > | I have added both the SBS server and the ISP's DNS IPs to the DHCP
| scope,
| > | thinking that if the SBS DNS did not resolve the www it would go to
the
| > ISP
| > | and resolve correctly there but this did not make any difference,
unless
| > | have a setting wrong of course.
| > |
| > | I have seen a solution to add a hosts file (with an entry reflecting
the
| > | internal IP of the server) to the laptop but I doubt that would wotk
| since
| > | the host file get read before dns and therefore would work inside but
| not
| > | outside.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?