Saving messages

LinK

My hard drive is limping along and Dell has a new one on the way ... not bad
for a pc not yet 1 year old!
I'm preparing to start again and you know what a nightmare that can be. I
downloaded the back-up and have backed Outlook up ...
I have a .pst file that will recreate all messages, rules, folders, etc.
The problem is, I can't open the .pst file ... it needs to be imported. I
want
to save all the messages/attachments but don't necessarily want to import
them to the new hard drive. Seems a shame to have to import in its entirety
and then clean house (so to speak). Is there a way to copy/save messages in
folders from Outlook and then view as .txt / .eml (or something I can open
without importing) ... just for future reference if necessary? Then I could
delete most messages from Outlook, back-up and start with a light load.
LinK

DL

You either do your housekeeping now, which doesnt seem a good idea with an
iffy hd, or do it on the new drive
BTW you only have to copy your data files, with outlook closed, to another
location, in order to 'back them up'

If you Import the data file, on your new installation, you will lose
settings
You open the data file within Outlook
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

Assuming you use OL2003 or OL2007 your data file can become +20gb (if you
wish) Theres little point in moving msgs / attachements o/s outlook, they
will only take up space elsewhere

Seabiscuit

Hi Link,

I didn't get that clearly,still I consider your request is to save emails in
to a folder and getting them back in Outlook with out Importing as PST file.

Steps:
1. Drag the mails you require from outlook and drop them to your desktop,
Hope you know how to do that ( Crop the Outlook Window smaller so that you
can see both Outlook and the desktop in the background to drop the dragged
ones from Outlook window).
2.Group them in to a folder and backup this folder to the new hard disk and
drag these mails from the folder to the New outlook instance in the new Hard
drive.
3. Still these dragged mails can be opened by a MS Word as an editor.

In addition,
The PST one which you have will nor store any settings you had earlier
neither the Rules.

Hope I understood rightly.

LinK

Thanks so much for your help (posts).

Please excuse me for the lack on clarity, I'm on overload.

Let's see if I understand now. I have Outlook backed up to a USB stick.
When the new hard drive is in, I will change the name (on the USB stick)
from Outlook backup.pst to Outlook.pst and paste (overwrite) the file in
AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook ... and this will restore all my
folders/rules/messages?

I want to be able to save the old messages and attachements on a disc should
I ever need to refer to them (without importing of copy/paste into Outlook).
2 - As a test, I created a folder on my desktop as you instructed, and
dragged one of my folders to the new folder. An .xnk extention tagged on.
I opened a message in MS Word and it's all pretty much code.

Thanks,
LinK

LinK

I figured out the part (your instructions) ... you said to copy "messages"
not the folder. I copied the messages and all is good! Thanks so much!!!

Now if I can get this:
I have Outlook backed up to a USB stick.
When the new hard drive is in, I will change the name (on the USB stick)
from Outlook backup.pst to Outlook.pst and paste (overwrite) the file in
AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook ... and this will restore all my
folders/rules/messages?

LinK

I'm really confused ... I read DL's message and went to howto-outlook.com

I have backed up (.pst) to a USB stick.

When my new hard drive is installed. I am to open Outlook and open the data
file (.pst) 'within' Outlook (don't import or I'll lose settings.
File >Open >Outlook Data File (and then what?)

It is very important that I keep my rules and folders. Do I understand
correctly now?

Thanks,
LinK

DL

You copy from stick to Documents folder of the PC
Then within outlook open that pst, OR
Use the mail applet in the control panel, or Data Management (depending on
version of OL) to add that data file and set it as default msg store
(Outlook has to be configured first)

LinK

Thanks DL for bearing with me. I think I have it now. I have Outlook 2007.
So, I'll configure Outlook first (add POP/SMTP info ... configure my email
account.
Then I will go to >File >Data File Management >'Add' (go to my stick) and
set is as default.

These steps will bring my folders/rules/messages (.pst saved on the stick)
into my new instance of Outlook?

Again, thanks and appreciation for your help.
LinK

DL

Nope
Copy from stick to Documents folder on your PC, then open that file at that
location

If you open the file on the stick, it remains on the stick, so when you
remove the stick outlook will baulk

LinK

Thanks!

Confirming (only because of comments my folders/rules/messages ... and
calendar will be restored?
I ask again because of the comments posted in the thread below (Outlook
Backup - Kim Brand).

LinK

DL

If you open that way all data will be intact, together with rules

I see no thread for Kim Brand

LinK

Thanks again ... your help is very much appreciated. Thanks to you, I think
I'll be all set.

Below reference regarding 'Kim Brand' ... in a thread 4 below 'Saving
Messages.'
Thanks!
LinK

From: "Kim Brand" <Kim (e-mail address removed)>