Saving a Template-Vista says 'NO'

Karen

I have Vista Ultimate and Word 2007. I am trying to modify some VBA on a
template that I have designed. Word will not let me save it in the Program
Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/Startup folder with the following message:

"Word cannot save or create this file. Make sure that the disk you want to
save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged."

Nothing is wrong with the disk space, this seems to be another example where
I am an Administrator but Vista is protecting me from doing my work. Any
suggestions as to where I can tell Vista to knock it off and let me save
files where I wish?

Karen

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Karen,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on your description, this behavior occurs if you try to save the Word
2007 document on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Vista. By
default, Windows Vista applies stronger security to the root folder of the
drive.

To work around this behavior, do not try to save the Word 2007 document to
the root folder of the drive. Instead, save the Word 2007 document to a
different folder or subfolder. For example, save the Word 2007 document to
the following folder:
C:\Users\username\Documents

923917: Error message when you try to save a Word 2007 document: "You don't
have permission to save in this location" or "Run-time error '5156'"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923917/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Karen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Saving a Template-Vista says 'NO'
| Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:11:55 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|
| I have Vista Ultimate and Word 2007. I am trying to modify some VBA on a
| template that I have designed. Word will not let me save it in the
Program
| Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/Startup folder with the following message:
|
| "Word cannot save or create this file. Make sure that the disk you want
| save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged."
|
| Nothing is wrong with the disk space, this seems to be another example
where
| I am an Administrator but Vista is protecting me from doing my work. Any
| suggestions as to where I can tell Vista to knock it off and let me save
| files where I wish?
|
| Karen

Paul Adare

@microsoft.com>, in the
microsoft.public.windows.vista.security news group, Karen
I have Vista Ultimate and Word 2007. I am trying to modify some VBA on a
template that I have designed. Word will not let me save it in the Program
Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/Startup folder with the following message:

"Word cannot save or create this file. Make sure that the disk you want to
save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged."

Nothing is wrong with the disk space, this seems to be another example where
I am an Administrator but Vista is protecting me from doing my work. Any
suggestions as to where I can tell Vista to knock it off and let me save
files where I wish?

Run Word as an Administrator when you want to do this.
Right-click the Word icon then click Run as Administrator.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

I have Vista Ultimate and Word 2007. I am trying to modify some VBA on a
Run Word as an Administrator when you want to do this.
Right-click the Word icon then click Run as Administrator.

Or, save the document to a temporary location and then use Explorer to copy
it to its permanent home.

This happens because, even as an administrator, you are not actually
considered a member of the administrators group until you elevate. This means
that you do not get permission to write to locations that only administrators
can write to without elevating.

Karen

Hi Ken,

I can save to another location and then copy to the proper folder, that just
isn't very productive so I was hoping there was a reasonable solution to
allow me to work as I have been accustomed :)

Karen

Hello Karen,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on your description, this behavior occurs if you try to save the Word
2007 document on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Vista. By
default, Windows Vista applies stronger security to the root folder of the
drive.

To work around this behavior, do not try to save the Word 2007 document to
the root folder of the drive. Instead, save the Word 2007 document to a
different folder or subfolder. For example, save the Word 2007 document to
the following folder:
C:\Users\username\Documents

923917: Error message when you try to save a Word 2007 document: "You don't
have permission to save in this location" or "Run-time error '5156'"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923917/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Karen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Saving a Template-Vista says 'NO'
| Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:11:55 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|
| I have Vista Ultimate and Word 2007. I am trying to modify some VBA on a
| template that I have designed. Word will not let me save it in the
Program
| Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/Startup folder with the following message:
|
| "Word cannot save or create this file. Make sure that the disk you want
| save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged."
|
| Nothing is wrong with the disk space, this seems to be another example
where
| I am an Administrator but Vista is protecting me from doing my work. Any
| suggestions as to where I can tell Vista to knock it off and let me save
| files where I wish?
|
| Karen

Karen

Hi Paul,

Actually I tried that but it does not seem to be an option, at least when I
right-click 'Run as Adminstrator' is not an option :(

Karen

[...]

That's because it is not a real shortcut. Do this:
1. Click the Window button
2. Click All Programs
3. Click Accessories
4. Right-click Command prompt and select "Run as administrator..."
5. Type "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" and hit enter

That gives you an administrative instance of Word.

Karen

Thanks very much, I'll try that :)

Karen

Jesper said:
Actually I tried that but it does not seem to be an option, at least when
right-click 'Run as Adminstrator' is not an option :(

That's because it is not a real shortcut. Do this:
1. Click the Window button
2. Click All Programs
3. Click Accessories
4. Right-click Command prompt and select "Run as administrator..."
5. Type "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" and hit
enter

That gives you an administrative instance of Word.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Karen,

I notice Jesper has provided some information to you. Have you tried his
steps?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Karen" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Saving a Template-Vista says 'NO'
| Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:45:38 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|
| Hi Ken,
|
| I can save to another location and then copy to the proper folder, that
just
| isn't very productive so I was hoping there was a reasonable solution to
| allow me to work as I have been accustomed :)
|
| Karen
|
| | Hello Karen,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| Based on your description, this behavior occurs if you try to save the
Word
| 2007 document on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Vista. By
| default, Windows Vista applies stronger security to the root folder of the
| drive.
|
| To work around this behavior, do not try to save the Word 2007 document to
| the root folder of the drive. Instead, save the Word 2007 document to a
| different folder or subfolder. For example, save the Word 2007 document to
| the following folder:
| C:\Users\username\Documents
|
| 923917: Error message when you try to save a Word 2007 document: "You
don't
| have permission to save in this location" or "Run-time error '5156'"
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923917/en-us
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Karen" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Saving a Template-Vista says 'NO'
| | Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:11:55 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
| | template that I have designed. Word will not let me save it in the
| Program
| | Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/Startup folder with the following
message:
| |
| | "Word cannot save or create this file. Make sure that the disk you want
| | save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged."
| |
| | Nothing is wrong with the disk space, this seems to be another example
| where
| | I am an Administrator but Vista is protecting me from doing my work.
Any
| | suggestions as to where I can tell Vista to knock it off and let me save
| | files where I wish?
| |
| | Karen
| |
| |

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:11:55 -0700, "Karen"
I have Vista Ultimate and Word 2007. I am trying to modify some VBA on a
template that I have designed. Word will not let me save it in the Program
Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/Startup folder with the following message:
"Word cannot save or create this file. Make sure that the disk you want to
save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged."

That is prolly UAC protecting the "Program Files" subtree against
writes. When it comes to seeding an apoplication's startup axis with
auto-running macros or scripts, I'd consider that appropriate, yes?
Nothing is wrong with the disk space, this seems to be another example where
I am an Administrator but Vista is protecting me from doing my work. Any
suggestions as to where I can tell Vista to knock it off and let me save
files where I wish?

As a human user, you can...
- save elsewhere, copy into place from Windows Explorer
- change permissions in the particular location you want to save to
- run the editing process as Admin, maybe allows it to save there
....and then respond to whatever UAC prompts as may arise.

If you were a bot trying to infect the system, you prolly would not be
able to silently automate these things, and unexpected UAC pop-ups
would alert the user and give the user a chance to Just Say No.

That, in a nut shell, is the difference UAC is intended to create :)

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!