Save transfer question

Dana

I created a database on my work PC, I now want to save
that same database on my laptop. I sent the database to
my D:\ and burned it onto CD, when I saved it to my
laptop and tried to open it I received this error "The
database "IT Inventory Tracker" is read-only. You won't
be able to save changes made to data or lbject
definitions in this database"

What can I do to open and enter data on my labtop?
Thanks for any help!!

Al Moroz

When you copy files from a CD, they are by default 'Read-
Only'. After copying the file to your laptop, right-click
on the file (in Windows Explorer or My Computer) and
select <Properties> from the Shortcut Menu. Under
the 'Attributes' section uncheck <Read-Only>.

Al Moroz
http://www.abacus-strategies.com

**NOTE: Do not respond to the email address, it's for
Newsgroups only

Dana

I did as you instructed Al, and the Read-only option
under attribute was not checked and is still giving me
this error message. Would it matter if there is a Pad
Lock symbol on the icon where it is saved on my desktop
(on the original version)?

Robert

Hi,
I had a similar problem in the past. Try this. Try
copying the file on the laptop to a different name (on
the laptop). Then see if you can open the newly created
file without getting the read-only message. This might
work.

Al Moroz

You copied the LDB (Access creates this to manage an open
database) file instead of the actual MDB file. Be sure to
close the database before copying it.

Al Moroz
http://www.abacus-strategies.com

**NOTE: Do not respond to the email address, it's for
Newsgroups only

Lisa

When you cut a cd the property for the file is changed to
read only. Simply copy it down to your computer, and
change the file property in Windows Explorer to take off
the Read Only.