safety inspection db

maryanne

I need to design a db that will track safety inspections.
I will store the building and room number (each room would
be a different site) in one table and the safety inspector
information in another, but I'm confused as to what other
tables I need to set up. I need to have several
inspection records that relate to yes/no questions as to
whether certain types of protection are required (hard
hats, goggles or safety glasses, hearing protection,
respiratory protection - and what type) at each site. I
also need to track what kind of hazards might be present
at each site (eyes and skin due to chemical splashes, or
respiratory system due to fumes, body due to repetitive
stress etc.). I need to track what the stressors are
(acid, bases, chlorine dust, heavy objects etc.) for each
site and I need to track what specific safety training is
required at the site. The db needs to contain historical
information on previous inspection results and provide a
means of entering current information. Does anyone know
of a sample db that might provide an idea of how to set
this up? Or can anyone suggest a good way to set up the
tables and then link them? thanks

TC

Hi Maryanne

That's a fairly comprehensive requirement! It would be difficult to suggest
a simple table structure to get you started. IMO it would require a careful
data analysis before designing any tables at all. It's probably too much to
expect from a free-service group like this. So I feel you have three
options.

(1) See if there is something available off the shelf. Typing the following
into google web search (including the quotes) gave about 100 hits. Maybe
there is something there?
"safety inspections" "access database"

(2) Hire a local developer or consultant to do it for you. Or at least, to
help you through the first steps of the table design. You'd need to be sure
that the person in question was completely competent with data anaysis &
database table design.

(3) Do *lots* of reading about database design & normalization, then try to
do it yourself. But if you are not already very comfortable with the
concepts involved, this will not be a "few weeks" task. It might not even be
a "few months" task! It could easily take you many months of hard work,
before you understood the concepts well-enough, to be anywhere >near< ready
to design a >properly structured< database to meet the needs that you have
described. (This is to to try & insult you! It is just a realistic
appreciation of the fact that database design is sometimes a complex &
demanding task.)

HTH,
TC

chris

TC is right.
But I may be able to offer some assistance
Contact me on
chris
at
mercury-projects
dot
co
dot
nz

Duane Hookom

Chris,
Are you soliciting business in a public news group or just offering private,
free assistance?

maryanne

I don't need a "simple" table structure. I've designed
probably about a dozen different fully normalized
databases, complete with extensive VBA in the background
for easy functionality. but thanks anyway.

Ray Lambert

I am building one now that has 110 question, 10
facilities, 10-100 arears per facility. We are in alpha
testing now. the structure is not as simple as I would
like, however I do have suggestions if you are interested.
If you know VB pretty good then you might beable to avoid
the pitfalls I ran into. My email is (e-mail address removed)

I can send you a stripped down version of the database I
am working on if you email (at no cost...lol)

Ray

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

"chris" <anonymous.chris@mercury- projects.co.nz.discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:12ffb01c41227$58c1b1d0 [email protected]...

.

chris

Free.
You want references????
Are you soliciting business in a public news group or just offering private,
free assistance?

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

"chris" <anonymous.chris@mercury- projects.co.nz.discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:12ffb01c41227$58c1b1d0 [email protected]...

.

TC

I guess the point of the newsgroups, though, is for everyone to learn from
the answers provided. That does not occur when answers are provided
privately.

Cheers,
TC

TC

Huh?

You said: "can anyone suggest a good way to set up the tables".

If you know how to design a normalized database structure already, why are
you asking here? Just do the data analysis & then design an appropriate
normalized structure.

Am I missing something?

TC

Duane Hookom

I think one very important design element that each inspectable item should
create a new record in a table rather than having multiple fields.

chris

Very true.
But as you so rightly point out, this is not a simple
question. Personally, I can't afford to waste my time
checking back through pages of newsgroups for responses
from all the people I'm helping.
In addition, some of the help I give involves sizeable
attachments which is a NO NO in newsgroups.
It sure would be nice if I could help people in my own
way, without having my motives questioned.