running WinXP Pro Outlook 2003 hangs when recieving mail

Reaction score
System:

Brand New Lenova T60p Thinkpad

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1.2600) Service Pack 2

Microsoft Office 2003 (11.5608.5606) Small Business Edition

Email server is POP3

Symptoms:

Outlook hangs after receiving a few emails and must be terminated using task manager. After re-opening OL and attempting to run send/receive again, OL receives duplicates of the emails received the initial time and then hangs again at the same point.

No error msg is given, however when error report is sent to Microsoft an automated response claiming this problem is known and is caused by Symantec WinFax Pro pops up and says to contact Symantec.

However WinFax was never installed on this computer. I did go so far though to rejuvenated the system back to factory status and make sure all trial versions of Symantec anything were unselected as well as anything else that I felt was not standard.

Temporary Fix:

I have bi-passed the problem by creating an identical email account on a different computer and downloaded the files/emails that were being caught in the hang there. After the cache has been totally received, I can then export/import them back to the original machine which then functions normally. This problem does comes back seemingly randomly at another time though, such as after the computer has been shut down and the email account has had time to build up a new cache of emails as opposed to recieving them as scheduled. This is not always the case though and can disappear for several days at a time before coming back.

Error Log:

"Hanging application OUTLOOK.EXE, version 11.0.5510.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000"

Followed by "Fault bucket 54869149"

I have at least 5 new machines I need to hand out, but I can't until I can solve this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Jon

Last edited:
Reaction score
An update:

After more pouring through the net to find an answer to the problem, I got an idea to check my anti-virus program McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0 to see if there were any conflicts there. I did the most obvious thing first and disabled "On-Delivery E-mail Scanner". When I opened Outlook and ran a Send/Receive it no longer hung or froze and it received all the emails from the server cache.

So, great, I now have a quicker and more simpler fix, however I now have no anti-virus scanning incoming emails. As our company has a mass license with McAfee I am stuck with this program though and will update this thread again when/if I find a better solution.

I'd still appreciate any helpful advice if someone else has experienced this before.

-Jon

Reaction score
Still looking for a fix to this. I was unable to get help from McAfee here in the states as my companies grant number is held by our main IT department in Japan. They said they will look into it, but I doubt that means help anytime soon.

Thanks

Ask a Question