Running sfc /scannow on secondary drive

KDawg44

Hi,

I am having trouble with a drive that will not boot. I have mounted
it as a slave in another win XP computer. Is there a way to run sfc /
scannow on this slave drive?

Thanks.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

if that drive has a
system on it with
files and you can log
into it's windows you
can run the system file
checker

but if the problem is
that you cannot log into
that o.s., then you need
to run a repair installation
with
a windows setup cd instead

you should likely return
the drive to the original
pc and repair that o.s via
a repair installation:

http://www.google.com/search?q=repa...-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. , .

..

"KDawg44" <[email protected]>

KDawg44

My concern with that is there is some custom software on the PC that
cannot be reinstalled easily. Will this software be safe with a
repair?

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

not sure what you mean by
custom software, however
a repair installation should
keep most all of your third
party
software
functional,"UNLESS"....

unless a "custom software"
is the cause of the problem
you are experiencing with
windows.

further, if the repair
installation
cannot resolve the problem
you may have to do a
re-installation
of windows.

however, if you do get windows
repaired and you discover that
some third party software
no longer functions, then
consider
your self fortunate (lucky)
and
re assess the value of any
program
that doesn't work or designed
for windows xp

there is one thing you might
try before a repair
installation
and if this doesn't help your
repair install is the only
option.

use your windows cd and
log into the recovery console
and see if you can get to
a system prompt. if so, then
let us know and we can give
you some commands to run.

but if the above doesn't work
then just save time and energy
and do the repair
installation.....

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. , .

..

"KDawg44" <[email protected]>

Ken Blake

KDawg44 said:
My concern with that is there is some custom software on the PC that
cannot be reinstalled easily. Will this software be safe with a
repair?

A repair installation of Windows should not harm any custom software that's
installed (but note that there are never guarantees, and something can
always go wrong).

Also note that you are *always* vulnerable to losing the entire contents of
your drive to any of several common problems--hard drive crashes, virus
attacks, severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, user errors,
theft, etc. As has often been said, it's not a matter of whether you will
have such a problem, but when. If you have anything on the drive you need
(custom software or anything else) without a means of reinstalling,
restoring, or recreating it, you are in a very precarious position.

KDawg44

I have tried many things from the recovery console to no avail. I
have an old image of the system but it was before some updates. Worst
comes to worst I will have to reuse that. I am saving the XP repair
as my last effort to save this system. It looks like I am about
there.

Thanks for all your help.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

well,
since recovery console was
not a solution for you and
you are unsure about the
repair installation, "THEN"

install a windows as a secondary
operating system on that drive or
in a different partition.

when the windows setup
cd searches your disk for
installations, it will provide
a listing and then some options.

if you select the line notating
your current o.s., setup will
give you the option to repair
it or overwrite it. however
do neither.

instead select the option / method
to install a new o.s. into a
a different folder other than
than the default and or
the default partition.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. , .

..

KDawg44

well,
since recovery console was
not a solution for you and
you are unsure about the
repair installation, "THEN"

install a windows as a secondary
operating system on that drive or
in a different partition.

when the windows setup
cd searches your disk for
installations, it will provide
a listing and then some options.

if you select the line notating
your current o.s., setup will
give you the option to repair
it or overwrite it. however
do neither.

instead select the option / method
to install a new o.s. into a
a different folder other than
than the default and or
the default partition.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. , .

.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I was able to save the system.

Oddly enough....

I was able to slave it on another PC then take an image of the drive
with Symantec Ghost, push it out to another PC and then use this
article:

http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/cw_boot_toot3.htm

and fix the system. The steps above did not work on the original
drive however.

Either way, it is working, and I am taking another image of the
correct system configuration and I should be all set.

I would really like to add a second drive to the box as a mirror but
as I understand it, you cannot do this with Windows XP.

Thanks for all your help.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

you're welcome.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:

..