Running high end graphics apps on a terminal server...

Brad Pears

I have been asked by our owner to look into providing a server that is
capable of providing multiple sessions for use by some of our drafting
people.

We use software called "Softplan" to produce drawings for the log homes we
produce.

I talked to the tech support people at Softplan and they mentioned that
Softplan relies heavily on the CPU and graphics card.

I was going to look into the purchase of an additional higher end DELL
server specifically to host the terminal services sessions for the design
users - and NOTING else. It would be their machine.

However, i found out from DELL that none of their servers come with an AGP
port (accelerated graphics port) and hence we could installa high end
graphics card - required by the software.

However, they do have a 'Precision' workstation line that is geared for the
higher end graphics/3D applications that does have an AGP port.

My question is this... Does anyone have any experience in running multiple
graphics applications on a terminal server ( I was planning on going to
Windows 2003 server) where a high end video card is a requirement?

I have no idea how a terminal server session would handle multiple uses of a
video card. How does it work now? Does the RDP client rely heavily on the
video card in the local machine or does it rely heavily on the video card in
the actual server??

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad Pears

Vera, can you point me to the resolution? I can;t find it... (PS...I didn't
post the question there.)

Vera Noest [MVP]

I think you did, Brad, and in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services as well :)

Here's the copy:

Subject: Re: Running graphics apps using a terminal services
session...
Newsgroups: Microsoft:microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps
To: Brad Pears <[email protected]>

Heavy graphics applications are generally not very good
applications to run on Terminal Services, because of the frequent
screen updates. You will need a very high bandwidth connection,
and performance will probably still not be very good.

The graphics data sent from the server to the client in a TS
session is generated by the operating system, using a "virtual
video driver". So it does not matter which video card is installed
on the server.

Brad Pears

Thanks Vera...

brad

Newsgroups: Microsoft:microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps
To: Brad Pears <[email protected]>

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

Brad Pears

Vera, I know why I didn't think I posted in termserv.apps. For some reason
in this post, I am not seeing any messages from the 5th of March on - so I
am not seeing any of my questions/answers posted since then.

Do you have any idea why I may not be seeing these? I am using Outlook
express to view the news items.

Thanks,

Brad

Vera Noest [MVP]

That does not so much depend on the newsreader that you use
(Outlook in your case), but on the newsserver that you connect to.
I point my newsreader directly to the Microsoft newsserver at
msnews.microsoft.com, but most ISPs run their own newsserver, and
they are all linked together. So there's always a time delay,
depending on how fast your newsserver is updated, and not all
newsservers carry all newsgroups. If you believe that you are not
seeing everything there is, connect to Microsofts newsserver or
use Google.

You can also try in Outlook to refresh the complete list of
newsgroups and messages (I think, I don't use Outlook).