Running 32bit WinXP Apps in 64bit Windows 7 possible (with emulator) ?

Camille Petersen

I could imagine to switch from current 32bit to 64bit Windows7 in a couple of weeks/months.

There is however a big problem for me:

I have lots of 32bit application (not DOS!) for which no 64bit version exist.

Can I run them somehow under Windows 7 anyway?

Maybe there is something like a 32bit emulator/emulation mode.

I prefer NOT to start a virtual machine like VirtualBox/VirtualPC for these 32bit apps
but have a seamless windows emulation.

Camille

Shenan Stanley

Camille said:
I could imagine to switch from current 32bit to 64bit Windows7 in a
couple of weeks/months.

There is however a big problem for me:

I have lots of 32bit application (not DOS!) for which no 64bit
version exist.

Can I run them somehow under Windows 7 anyway?

Maybe there is something like a 32bit emulator/emulation mode.

I prefer NOT to start a virtual machine like VirtualBox/VirtualPC
for these 32bit apps but have a seamless windows emulation.

Have you tried any of the apps in a 64-bit environment? In many cases -
they work just fine. You have to do nothing. They just work. It's not
like you *have* to utilize all 64-bit apps when you switch to a 64-bit OS.

Otherwise - Windows XP Mode...
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1457

Ken Blake, MVP

I could imagine to switch from current 32bit to 64bit Windows7 in a couple of weeks/months.

There is however a big problem for me:

It's probably no problem at all, but if it is, it will be a small one,
not a big one.

I have lots of 32bit application (not DOS!) for which no 64bit version exist.

Can I run them somehow under Windows 7 anyway?

"Somehow" is not an appropriate word here. Yes, you can almost
certainly run them. Several points:

1. The are very few 64-bit applications yet. If that's all the 64-bit
versions of Windows ran, almost nobody would be able to use those
64-bit versions of Windows of Windows.

2. There is no problem running a 32-bit application under a 64-bit
version of Windows just because it's a 32-bit application.

3. Although it's possible that a particular 32-bit application won't
run, the chances of that occurring are rare.

4. I run 64-bit Windows 7 here, and all of my applications (all of
which are 32-bit) run without a problem. The only problems I ran into
was a very occasional 32-bit utility.

Maybe there is something like a 32bit emulator/emulation mode.

No. It's entirely unnecessary.

smlunatick

I could imagine to switch from current 32bit to 64bit Windows7 in a couple of weeks/months.

There is however a big problem for me:

I have lots of 32bit application (not DOS!) for which no 64bit version exist.

Can I run them somehow under Windows 7 anyway?

Maybe there is something like a 32bit emulator/emulation mode.

I prefer NOT to start a virtual machine like VirtualBox/VirtualPC for these 32bit apps
but have a seamless windows emulation.

Camille

I have successfully ran several 32bit Xp application in Vista 64bit,
with no changes. I do not believe that Windows 7 would be much
different. There is supposed to be a complete Windows XP "emulator"
delivered with Windows 7,

Malke

Camille said:
I could imagine to switch from current 32bit to 64bit Windows7 in a couple
of weeks/months.

There is however a big problem for me:

I have lots of 32bit application (not DOS!) for which no 64bit version
exist.

Can I run them somehow under Windows 7 anyway?

Maybe there is something like a 32bit emulator/emulation mode.

I prefer NOT to start a virtual machine like VirtualBox/VirtualPC for
these 32bit apps but have a seamless windows emulation.

Lots of 32-bit apps run with no issue in Win7 64-bit. You'd need to go to
the individual programs' websites and see what their support says about 64-
bit compatibility.

Malke

Tim Slattery

I have lots of 32bit application (not DOS!) for which no 64bit version exist.

Can I run them somehow under Windows 7 anyway?

Yes, Microsoft's 64-bit OSs will run 32-bit programs. They won't run
older, 16-bit programs.

Bob I

First, 32 bit apps will run on 64 bit Windows just fine. Second,
consider asking Windows 7 questions in the Windows 7 forums.

Squeezy99

Hi,
I run XP 64 bit and have been trying to get Flash 10.1 working as Adobe
infers this is the 64 bit version. Having finally tracked down Adobe's
Flash forum they say it does NOT support Winwos x64 at all but a future
relase will.
As XP64 has been around for so long, plus Vista 64 I find it incredible
Adobe are so slow at this.
Dave

Shenan Stanley

Camille said:
I could imagine to switch from current 32bit to 64bit Windows7 in a
couple of weeks/months.
There is however a big problem for me:

I have lots of 32bit application (not DOS!) for which no 64bit
version exist.
Can I run them somehow under Windows 7 anyway?

Maybe there is something like a 32bit emulator/emulation mode.

I prefer NOT to start a virtual machine like VirtualBox/VirtualPC
for these 32bit apps but have a seamless windows emulation.
If you are running Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit version)
on your computer, the ability to install Adobe Flash Player is
built in. You have to find it, and install it.
Here is a link, on my local computer, that should take you to tours:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/dlm/

I tried installing what I thought was the same thing from Adobe, but
this one actually worked, and I got the confirmation screen
indicating such, and it is really working
I run XP 64 bit and have been trying to get Flash 10.1 working as
Adobe infers this is the 64 bit version. Having finally tracked
down Adobe's Flash forum they say it does NOT support Winwos x64 at
all but a future relase will.
As XP64 has been around for so long, plus Vista 64 I find it
incredible Adobe are so slow at this.

Actually - it is not the Operatng System that Adobe Flash does not support -
but the 64-bit browser. If you utilize the 32-bit browser on the 64-bit
system - you can use Flash.

Please more carefully read/comprehend/quote these things - as you can cause
confusion around a subject where there should be none.

Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html

"Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser.
However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit
operating system."

Hope that clears things up for some.

Joined
Aug 6, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have found an instance where an instance is absolutely necessary. My company is using BeCubed software for Visual Basic 6.0. I received a new Windows 7 64-Bit box last week and upon attempting to install BeCubed, I receive an error stating that I must be running windows 32-Bit in order to install.

On 20 Oct 2009 13:52:32 GMT, (e-mail address removed) (Camille
Petersen) wrote:

> I could imagine to switch from current 32bit to 64bit Windows7 in a couple of weeks/months.
>
> There is however a big problem for me:

It's probably no problem at all, but if it is, it will be a small one,
not a big one.

> I have lots of 32bit application (not DOS!) for which no 64bit version exist.
>
> Can I run them somehow under Windows 7 anyway?

"Somehow" is not an appropriate word here. Yes, you can almost
certainly run them. Several points:

1. The are very few 64-bit applications yet. If that's all the 64-bit
versions of Windows ran, almost nobody would be able to use those
64-bit versions of Windows of Windows.

2. There is no problem running a 32-bit application under a 64-bit
version of Windows just because it's a 32-bit application.

3. Although it's possible that a particular 32-bit application won't
run, the chances of that occurring are rare.

4. I run 64-bit Windows 7 here, and all of my applications (all of
which are 32-bit) run without a problem. The only problems I ran into
was a very occasional 32-bit utility.

> Maybe there is something like a 32bit emulator/emulation mode.

No. It's entirely unnecessary.

> I prefer NOT to start a virtual machine like VirtualBox/VirtualPC for these 32bit apps
> but have a seamless windows emulation.
>
> Camille

Please Reply to the Newsgroup