RUNDLL32.EXE NVQT

Sharon

I have been trying to figure a number of issues out on a
families computer and I came accross some errors saying
rundll32.exe and after looking further I found several
and then listed as rundll32.exe NVQT. I believe this is
most likely a virus, trojan, or worm of some sort. I have
tried doing some searching and I am not sure if it is and
if it is what the NVQT is. I am not finding anything with
the listed letters NVQT. Any help would really be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Sharon

Chuck

I have been trying to figure a number of issues out on a
families computer and I came accross some errors saying
rundll32.exe and after looking further I found several
and then listed as rundll32.exe NVQT. I believe this is
most likely a virus, trojan, or worm of some sort. I have
tried doing some searching and I am not sure if it is and
if it is what the NVQT is. I am not finding anything with
the listed letters NVQT. Any help would really be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Sharon

Sharon,

I have seen several queries recently about rundll32.exe, and a brief Google /
Yahoo search indicates that this may be a spyware problem.

How current is your virus protection? Try one or more of these free online
virus scans, which should complement your current protection:
<http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php>
<http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan>
<http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/>
<http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp>
<http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>

Now check for, and learn to defend against, additional problems. Have you
downloaded these programs before? Download them again, as the latest version
may be needed to keep up with the current level of malware being attempted
constantly - get the absolutely most current version of each product listed.
They're all free - and most pretty small, so they download quickly enough.

Start by downloading each of the following free tools:
AdAware <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>
CWShredder <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html>
CoolWWWSearch.SmartSearch (v1/v2) MiniRemoval
<http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4113.html>
HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>
LSP-Fix and WinsockLSPFix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>
Spybot S&D <http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download>
Stinger <http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger>

Install and run Stinger.
<http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger>

Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the
downloaded file there. AdAware and Spybot S&D have install routines - run them.
The other downloaded programs can be copied into, and run from, any convenient
folder.

Start by closing all Internet Explorer and Outlook windows, and running
CoolWWWSearch.SmartSearchMiniRemoval, then CWShredder. Have the latter fix all.

Next, run AdAware. First update it ("Check for updates now"), configure for
full scan (<http://www.lavahelp.com/howto/fullscan/>), then scan ("Start" - "Use
custom scanning options" - "Next"). When scanning finishes, select everything,
and hit Next again.

Next, run Spybot S&D. First update it ("Search for updates"), then run a scan
("Check for problems"). Trust Spybot, and delete everything ("Fix Problems")
that is displayed in Red.

Then, run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
HJT Log.
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>

Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
following security forums (and post it, or a link to your forum posts, here):
Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>

If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some
spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your
network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.

Cheers,
Chuck

Phillips

Looks like a dll for nvidia or quick time. Check the properties of that dll.
Michael

Gerry Cornell

Sharon

Found this message in Google

From: Jason Tsang ([email protected])
Subject: Re: What is RUNDLL32

View this article only
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
Date: 2002-06-29 13:08:49 PST

The Run DLL utility (Rundll32.exe) included in Windows enables you to
call functions exported from a 32-bit DLL.

In this case, it is loading a component for your video driver (NVidia)

--
Jason Tsang - Windows XP MVP & Associate Expert

-- ~~~~~~Hope this helps.Gerry~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~FCAStourport, Worcs,
EnglandEnquire, plan and execute.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please tell the
newsgroup how any suggested solution worked for
you.http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"Sharon"