RUNAS Command XP

Dave Leonardi

I have a question regarding the Windows XP RUNAS command. I am trying to
setup RUNAS command for a particular program so that it Runs as another user
(An Admin User) everytime my non admin enduser logs in. What is happening is
that the RUNAS command/ interface is setting back to the default currently
logged on non admin user. How can I setup that one particular RUNAS command
or batch so that it runs as an admin user all the time, no matter what, even
when the the non admin logs out and back in again. From my own understanding
this was not a problem with windows 2000, but seems to be an issue with
Windows XP. Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Windows 2000 Domain
Windows XP Workstations

Regards,

Dave
Leonardi

Clark Griswold

Dave Leonardi said:
I have a question regarding the Windows XP RUNAS command. I am trying
to setup RUNAS command for a particular program so that it Runs as another
user (An Admin User) everytime my non admin enduser logs in. What is
happening is that the RUNAS command/ interface is setting back to the
default currently logged on non admin user. How can I setup that one
particular RUNAS command or batch so that it runs as an admin user all the
time, no matter what, even when the the non admin logs out and back in
again. From my own understanding this was not a problem with windows 2000,
but seems to be an issue with Windows XP. Thank you for your help it is
greatly appreciated.

Windows 2000 Domain
Windows XP Workstations

Regards,

Dave
Leonardi
Why can't use the security tab to allow the user access to whatever files
and directories and skip the run as command?

Clark Griswold

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Especially as it's a magor security flaw if passwords are saved.

Clark Griswold said:
Why can't use the security tab to allow the user access to whatever files
and directories and skip the run as command?
Correct, and run as won't work the passwords for that reason.

David Candy

Type
Runas "any program" /savecred

Now that user can start any program with admin credentials. Runas is meant for Admin users running as limited. It is NOT meant for limited users.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Dave said:
I have a question regarding the Windows XP RUNAS command. I am trying to
setup RUNAS command for a particular program so that it Runs as another user
(An Admin User) everytime my non admin enduser logs in. What is happening is
that the RUNAS command/ interface is setting back to the default currently
logged on non admin user. How can I setup that one particular RUNAS command
or batch so that it runs as an admin user all the time, no matter what, even
when the the non admin logs out and back in again. From my own understanding
this was not a problem with windows 2000, but seems to be an issue with
Windows XP. Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Windows 2000 Domain
Windows XP Workstations
Hi

Different RunAs products listed here, some with encryption
option for the password:

http://groups.google.co.uk/[email protected]

Other ones not mentioned in the link above:

SUperior SU (free, has a command line iterface)
http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/supsu/main.php3

LSrunas/LSrunasE (the latter with password encryption)
http://www.linkselection.com/lsrunas.asp

You may also want to check out PolicyMaker Application Security
(previously NeoExec), the main difference is that it does not require
the use of a second account, as most other RunAs derivatives requires.

PolicyMaker Application Security
http://www.desktopstandard.com/PolicyMakerApplicationSecurity.aspx