Run through

G

I have some MSDOS programs installed on my computer that windows XP won't run properly. I downloaded a DOS emulator (DOSBOX) but it's a hassle. My question is this, Is there a way to set it up so that when i open the dos programs it automatically runs them through dosbox? You know, like how if you right click on some files (like .txt) you can choose OPEN WITH . . . and then choose which program to run them through.

G

This should be a simple matter of right clicking on the DOS program and then choosing the open with and then put a dot in Select from a list and then choose your dosbox program and then down the bottom put a check mark in "always use this program to open this type of file". If the program isn't in the list then use the browse button and find the DOSBOX.exe. When you choose that it will be added to the list. I think you can also do this by changing the file associations in the folder options in the control panel but I've never tried that so you will have to ask the eXPerts. }:~)

K

Ken Blake

In
The Unknown P said:
This should be a simple matter of right clicking on the DOS program
and then choosing the open with and then put a dot in Select from a
list and then choose your dosbox program and then down the bottom put
a check mark in "always use this program to open this type of
file".

No, this won't work. By "type of file," the file's extension is
meant. If he does what you suggest, all .exe files will open this
way, and many many programs won't run.

I don't anything about the dosbox program he's using and don't
have another suggestion, but the above should not be attempted.

Ask a Question