Run as service

Demus

Hello,
How can I run a program as a service?
Can't figure out how to add a program.
thanks

Demus

Sounds like it would work, should of said at first, I'm using Win XP pro.
Would this work with XP? and, if so, where do I find the resource kit? I
can't seem to locate it with the 2 files the kb article notes.

David Candy

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
Demus said:
Sounds like it would work, should of said at first, I'm using Win XP pro.
Would this work with XP? and, if so, where do I find the resource kit? I
can't seem to locate it with the 2 files the kb article notes.

Dave Patrick said:
This article may help you.

HOWTO: Create a User-Defined Service

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello,
| How can I run a program as a service?
| Can't figure out how to add a program.
| thanks

Demus

Thanks, that did it.

Dave Patrick said:
This article may help you.

HOWTO: Create a User-Defined Service

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello,
| How can I run a program as a service?
| Can't figure out how to add a program.
| thanks

Demus

Ok, I thought this would do it but cant get it to work??
Everytime I try to use the instsrv.exe, I get a "- the fully qualified path
to the .exe must be given.", I tried the full path and get a C:\program is
not a recognized program, I tried c:\progra~1 etc and get the full qualified
path statement, and I tried "c:\full path" and get the fully qualed
statement again......it's gotta be something to do with the 8.3 filename but
what can I do about this???

Dave Patrick said:
This article may help you.

HOWTO: Create a User-Defined Service

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello,
| How can I run a program as a service?
| Can't figure out how to add a program.
| thanks

Linda B

Try putting the pathname in quotes, as in instsrv "c:\program
files\program\program.exe"

--
LB

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-

Dave Patrick said:
This article may help you.

HOWTO: Create a User-Defined Service

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello,
| How can I run a program as a service?
| Can't figure out how to add a program.
| thanks

Demus

path statement, and I tried "c:\full path" and get the fully qualedtried that already..

Demus said:
Sounds like it would work, should of said at first, I'm using Win XP pro.
Would this work with XP? and, if so, where do I find the resource kit?
can't seem to locate it with the 2 files the kb article notes.

This article may help you.

HOWTO: Create a User-Defined Service

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello,
| How can I run a program as a service?
| Can't figure out how to add a program.
| thanks

Joe Earnest

Demus said:
tried that already..

The MS instructions say to run instsvr from a command window where the
service is located. Try setting the drive and folder where where your EXE
is located as the default drive and folder in the command window, then run
instsvr ... name.exe. I know that this is the procedure required for
regsvr.

Joe Earnest

Joe Earnest

Oops, too sloppy ...

That's instsrv not instsvr, and regrv32, not regsvr.

Joe Earnest

Demus

- The fully qualified blah blah blah....