Royal Wedding...your thoughts ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Go back through the years of so called royals, what did they do / F8ck all but kill and anything that got them to take over 3/4 of the world to create an empire.

The Brits were doing just the same as the rest of the world were doing or trying to do, that's the way it was then.

All this so called guilt we're supposed to feel because our forefathers, by today's standards, were nasty so-and-so's - total tosh.

Admiral Nelson, for instance, was a brilliant naval warfare tactician and in my mind a true British hero. But do you know how he lost his arm? Piracy.

Our Horatio was sailing past Tenerife with a few shiploads of geezers and knew the Spanish had a lot of gold hoarded up on the island so Nelson tried to nick it. In the ensuing ruck he lost his arm, that's the way it goes sometimes.

But his attempted theft of Spanish gold was nothing less than piracy carried out in the name of the crown. That's the way it was back then and in my opinion should not be judged by today's standards.

The Brits were not alone in being a bunch of nasty gits, everybody was at it.

In days gone by Royalty mattered, in 1381 the courage of Boy-King Richard II defused the peasants revolt, for instance. There came a point in time though where Royalty became effectively toothless and transmuted into today's role of tourist attraction and ambassadors.

And if you were born in Greece and married a queen named Liz then you also became famous for being totally out of touch with the real people, opening your mouth and usually putting your foot in it.

History has to be viewed in the context of the time so having a pop at today's Royal Family for what they got up to in the past is to my mind bang out of order.

That empire thing, like I said, that's what everybody was doing at the time, we were no different in our aims and aspirations. Just that we were better at it than most ;)

This is why I don't feel ashamed of my past and I'm proud to be what I am - an Englisman who labels himself British.

But I still think the Royals are parasites though :lol:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Tis true then.... melancholy recedes with age lol :D

Last edited: